2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thinking about building a motor. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Sidrom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about building a motor. Opinions?

I have too many miles on my truck to feel comfortable upgrading it. The powertrain components don't have as many miles, will replace as I have time. Body/frame are straight, pretty rust free frame.

I am going to stick with 5.2 because I freaking love it, and it will be easier (I assume) to swap in. I am looking to spend around/ under 1500 on just the engine if possible, mostly just back to stock. I can get a 5.2 for a few hundred, and build it in my spare time.

Do we have a list somewhere of things I shouldn't keep stock (plenum, manifolds, heads, etc)? Or any reuseable parts? Good rebuild threads? Also, it won't do any good telling me it's not worth it, or to swap in a junkyard motor, I have heard that a hundred times. Of course I asked for opinions, but I really want to rebuild an engine.

Sorry if I am missing some obvious thread, Thanks much!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Sidrom

Ahh. How do I move/get a mod to move this thread? I didn't mean to post it in the general discussion section. My bad.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw a 4BT in there that'll be a nice upgrade!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you plan on getting long block to build up? A good JY engine to build would be cheaper and give you time to build before you pull yours out.

Plenum is obvious thing to fix, or maybe upgrading intake altogether. I would consider an e-fan, and of course double roller timing set, HS 1.7 rockers and an SCT tune will really make that 5.2 run better. If you have the money left to do so, I would change steering gearbox for a redhead while you have it down, and add the rocksolidsteering fix while engine is out (more room that way).

Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Sidrom

Jig, I would love to put a 4bt in there. That would be dream truck status. However, I have no experience whatsoever with diesels, and the guys over at 4btswaps scared the crap out of me. Also, I have friends that can help me w/ the 5.2. *edit: I was going to say since you were in wa too, you could find me a 4bt, but then realized you were on the dark side of the state.

gdstock: I have seen quite a few complete 5.2 motors around my area for around 200 bucks, could prolly find one cheaper. I want the truck to be down for the least amount of time possible, so I will be buying another 5.2. I am going to replace all gaskets, seals, getting everything machined (friends), and probably getting the HER0814AL cam from hughesengines. I've got the other valvetrain stuff figured out too. Yes on e-fan, double roller, rockers. You've got me interested in the steering. I've never noticed any problems, but if I have some cash left after I've got my new motor running outside the truck, I will def look into that redhead deal.

Last edited by Sidrom; 09-05-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Ask jig something
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Dont forget better springs for that cam. Exceeds stock specs.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I could find a solid engine for $200 here, I would buy it and hang it on engine stand and gradually start building...but I woudl probably build a stroker because I have no better sense (cents)!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Sidrom

Yeah, I've got new springs and locks, retainers, and valves all picked out if I go that route cam-wise. Also, how are 5.9 heads different from 5.2 heads? I might be able to get a set of edelbrock heads for around $500 total.

I might look into a stroker kit, if I get a raise, lol. *edit: wow, didn't realize strokers were so simple mechanically! Guess I never thought about it... another option I guess.

Last edited by Sidrom; 09-05-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

If your serious about re-build/performance,if possible borrow or buy a DESKTOP DYNO.it lets you build either with NO money out of pocket Lets you play with stroke and cam,heads,ported or not.Best valve size,induction ,injected carb and gets your projected HP and torque values before you spend a dime.I have used mine about too many friends to build just to see before laying down cash for parts.8 of my personal builds (408 stroker that's now in my truck) have all exceeded expections ,it even prints a dyno chart using info that you program in.Building motors with parts that everyone else uses may not give the results that your looking for.Build it for you,out of the box.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GO BIG...or go home.

Quick Reply: Thinking about building a motor. Opinions?