2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thinking about building a motor. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^That's what she said.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sidrom
Jig, I would love to put a 4bt in there. That would be dream truck status. However, I have no experience whatsoever with diesels, and the guys over at 4btswaps scared the crap out of me. Also, I have friends that can help me w/ the 5.2. *edit: I was going to say since you were in wa too, you could find me a 4bt, but then realized you were on the dark side of the state.

gdstock: I have seen quite a few complete 5.2 motors around my area for around 200 bucks, could prolly find one cheaper. I want the truck to be down for the least amount of time possible, so I will be buying another 5.2. I am going to replace all gaskets, seals, getting everything machined (friends), and probably getting the HER0814AL cam from hughesengines. I've got the other valvetrain stuff figured out too. Yes on e-fan, double roller, rockers. You've got me interested in the steering. I've never noticed any problems, but if I have some cash left after I've got my new motor running outside the truck, I will def look into that redhead deal.

diesels are easy far more simple than a gasoline engine. Gas engines need fuel air compression and spark to run. diesels need only fuel, air, and compression to run. no spark on a diesel. compression is what ignites the fuel.

and there is no fuel in a diesels intake manifold. the intake is only for air. the fuel injector is directly in the cylinder like a spark plug, and it is used like a spark plug. air goes in, gets compressed, then at TDC fuel is injected into the pressurized cylinder which causes an explosion (diesel ignites under pressure) and then the exhaust is pushed out through the turbo which causes the turbo to spin giving more air for more power

building power is also simple when you have a few gauges...bigger injectors = more power lol. if EGTs get too hot, add bigger turbo to help cool it down. diesels are exact opposite of gasoline when it comes to rich vs lean with fuel...lean is safer for a diesel and actually cools them down. rich is more dangerous and causes the engine to get extremely hot. the leaner you can get it to run the better. even adding nitrous to a lean engine is perfectly safe in a diesel. it just cools it down even more. just risk putting the fire out if you run too much with not enough fuel.

so very simple...more power = add fuel...too hot = add air till it cools down. and there is so much tolerance and room to play its ridiculous!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found THIS on line...There are others that are pretty pricey, but still not bad to make sure one gets what they are wanting to build. Good suggestion, cruzer!

http://www.*******engine2000.com/ProgramDownload.htm

******* is censored?

Crap..it IS!

www.v i r t u a l engine200.com/programDownload.htm (just remove the spaces....damn censorship.....

Last edited by gdstock; 09-06-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

^^^ Broken link homes.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

One of the words in his link is censored for some strange reason.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
One of the words in his link is censored for some strange reason.
gdstock is a dirty birdy.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
gdstock
Legend

I found THIS on line...There are others that are pretty pricey, but still not bad to make sure one gets what they are wanting to build. Good suggestion, cruzer!

http://www.*******engine2000.com/ProgramDownload.htm

******* is censored?

Crap..it IS!

www.v i r t u a l engine200.com/programDownload.htm (just remove the spaces....damn censorship.....

Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

So that program gives an accurate estimate of power and torque through the rpm range given a set of specs for a specific engine?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM
gdstock
Legend

I haven't tried it by putting mubers in it, but that is the claim.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Sidrom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news everyone! I was mislead, and the tranny has under 100k on it, and the engine is prolly under 200k. Did some digging around w/prev owner, guess everything is newer. I knew it ran too damn fine for 330k miles! Holding off on rebuild, getting cheap exhaust.

Quick Reply: Thinking about building a motor. Opinions?