2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Going to be rather hit and miss for a bit....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012 | 09:57 PM
HeyYou
|
Administrator

For a bit there.... I was wondering the exact same thing.... Did some tweaking on my internet.... seems to be behaving at the moment. See what happens.

It's nice to BE back. I missed this place. (though, I am sure, with practice, my aim will improve.....)

Old 12-07-2012 | 09:59 PM
stewie01
Legend

Did you have to settle for Satellite Internet or did you have other options? I recall you saying satellite but wasn't sure.

Old 12-07-2012 | 10:04 PM
HeyYou
|
Administrator

Got wireless at the moment. Not quite the speed of satellite, but, no bandwidth caps either. I get about 1.5mb/s..... not as good as the 15 to 20 I was getting on cable.... but, beats the snot out of 28.8 kb/s.........

If these guys prove reliable, and stable, I will stick with it, as they are also cheaper (by a significant margin.....) than satellite.

Old 12-07-2012 | 10:08 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Got wireless at the moment. Not quite the speed of satellite, but, no bandwidth caps either. I get about 1.5mb/s..... not as good as the 15 to 20 I was getting on cable.... but, beats the snot out of 28.8 kb/s.........

If these guys prove reliable, and stable, I will stick with it, as they are also cheaper (by a significant margin.....) than satellite.
I'm on a wireless connection myself (back in Virginia too!) Get about the same speed you do, and it's pretty nice.

All we got down there was 3mbps DSL and this connection is faster and more stable. Did have a 12mbps cable connection once, it was really NICE!

Hopefully you'll be able to keep your wireless connection, Hughes is advertising new plans with increased speed and usage, but I'll bet the wireless connection out performs on daily basis.

How's the ole truck running?

Last edited by stewie01; 12-07-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2012 | 10:10 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

About time.

Old 12-07-2012 | 10:27 PM
HeyYou
|
Administrator

Truck is being kinda strange... think I have a failing crank sensor. I get a steady miss on multiple cylinders intermittently.... mainly when the truck is at operating temp..... pulling a trailer will bring it on sooner. Driving more than 10 miles pretty much assures you are going to have to drop out of overdrive. (no, I wasn't towing in O/D. ) It's annoying. I think this has been an ongoing problem though, I just misdiagnosed it as fouled plugs. (though I am sure they were contributors... my truck EATS oil. plenum is clean.) Just need things to settle a bit more, and I am gonna replace the sensor, unless someone has a better idea? (only getting misfire codes.... coil is a year old.)

It DOES have almost 180K on it, and the sensors are all original...... I may toss in a TPS just on general principles.....

My connection exhibits odd behavior too.... it just drops for no apparent reason. When I had the cable plugged directly in to my PC, doing a "repair connection" would fix it. Now, it's plugged in to a wireless router, and I have to reset the router about every 30 minutes or so. No clue what that's all about. They are going to be back in the AM in any event, so, I will have a chat with 'em when they get here. See what happens.

Still and all, it's still better than dialup. Kinda sucks for my son's xbox live though.

Old 12-07-2012 | 10:45 PM
stewie01
Legend

Do you have clear line of sight to the Wireless AP?

Old 12-07-2012 | 11:07 PM
merc225hp
Champion

See what your wireless router ip settings is set for; static or dynamic, try the opposite of what it is set for now.

Old 12-07-2012 | 11:17 PM
HeyYou
|
Administrator

The tower I am hitting is 8 miles away...... quite a distance.... I am not about to climb the antenna tower to have a look.

I have a static IP address, going to dynamic simply won't work. There is no DHCP on this network. Simply resetting my router makes things work again. When it goes down, I can't even hit my default gateway. (next link in the chain from my router.) Don't think the radio has it's own IP, think it uses mine...... (been a while since I had to play with this kind of stuff. )

Old 12-07-2012 | 11:52 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

You were gone?

Quick Reply: Going to be rather hit and miss for a bit....