2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2nd Gen Ram Picture thread!!! Pic whore's unite.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 AM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
First winter pix.

Man I almost forgot how good your truck looked man.. Still nice as always

Old 12-02-2013, 12:25 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you

Good see you around!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it has been some time since I was around.. Working my *** off the past couple months and things are slowing down a bit so I have some extra time..

Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Truck looks great Merc. What do you do to keep rust at bay during salt season?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:50 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Thank You

Well this year I am trying what you use fluid film. I have tried lots of stuff over the years from rubber coating to just oil, to rigorous washing. Right now I have three test spots using POR-15 on the frame if it works like I think it will, it be used on the whole under side, cleaned and painted with that when the body work is done.

Both front fenders are toast so is the box wheel arches. I lost control three years ago when they started using some liquid stuff on the roads not nice at all. I had plans for body work this summer but well I got side tracked installing the 60's, long arm's, xcase indexing ring and so on. I have some auto body parts, but not installing until spring just not worth it to do it now.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

I've had good luck with the fluid film. The little bit of rust that was on it when I bought it hasn't spread, so I'm optimistic so far. Going to pull the chrome wheels this week and touch up a couple spots with fluid film.

That pic you posted shows a clean truck. The rockers and doors look great. It's one of my favorites on here.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Thanks again.

I have high hope for the fluid film, I followed your lead inside the doors all that stuff, did some of the underside of the cab as well. I am also trying it on my wheels so far so good.

So do you wash it off at anytime and re-coat or??? fill me in please.

Well your's is one of my fav trucks on here, sharp truck always has been.

Most of the cab is mint zero rust, same goes for the doors, other than one cab mount. Trying to find a new one (cab mount) is not gonna happen I am looking for a used cab these days to cut one out of. No I can't just build one insurance reasons.

Edit:I should add I wax it with a top wax,I try to get two coats on it before it gets to cold, and if I get a chance I wax it in the winter as well (yes outside).

Old 12-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

Mine gets 2 coats of good wax in late November too.

I go crazy with stuff. I spray the snot out of the frame and the underside of the body. Suspension, steering parts and everything else I can think of. I try to get some into the frame area where the front sway bar mounting bolts are. Moisture accumulates there. I stick the nozzle/tube thingy right into the cab drains and spray in all directions to coat the inside of the rockers and body mounts. I do the same under the bed and inside the tailgate areas. I pull the plastic rear liners, reach up as far as I can under the bed and spray from both directions to get along the wheel wells. My flares come off easily so I can do along the inside fender lips. I spray along the sides of the body up a short ways along the cab corners and front of the bed seams.

After letting it settle in for a week or so. I gently wash the outside of the truck to get rid of any excess and call it done for the season. The stuff never really dries and migrates into areas where the spray couldn't reach. Come spring I give a good wash down to the whole truck with a pressure washer and so far it's been good.

After it settles in and dries for the most part. When you wash the truck you can use a soft towel to wipe the nicer areas down and the stuff acts like regular car wax.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Good to see that some one else "gets it". I also undercoat the hell out of all my vehicles. No paint / rubberized coating / POR-15 is going to offer the same lasting protection.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had to hook up the trailer so I can go pick up our new furniture tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails 2nd Gen Ram Picture thread!!! Pic whore's unite.-truckandtrailer_zpsf506366b.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Ram Picture thread!!! Pic whore's unite.