2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Just change tran filter or have it flushed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After dropping the pan and replacing the filter, what is your experience on amount of fluid needed to replace? Manual from tech section of this web site says 1 1/2 quarts (page 21 - 276 and 12 pints if flushed (which I am not doing the flush). Owners manual that came with truck says capacity 21.8 pints on page 204 and doesn't mention pan drop and filter change. It seems the two manuals don't agree on total capacity. My 2000 olds intrigue takes almost 8 quarts to drop pan and change filter. That is why what I see in tech manual page 21-276 seems low for the Dodge Ram 1996 1500..

Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
diverjer
Professional

Anyone know?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

about 6 quarts if you have no large cooler or remote filter.
7 with those.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM
diverjer
Professional

All this time and I still haven't changed fluid. Waiting on my friends lift to get free, he has a 59 Olds up in the air with no engine, he is overhauling engine for a person who is working on his 1938 Ford. Now my friend is 75 and slow as can be, if I wait until he is done it may be summer. He has told me to drive the dune buggy out from under the Olds, then lower Olds and push it outside. I guess I may have to do that, pain, but better than laying on the floor and getting crap all over my garage floor and me.

Anyway my question: Sometimes my truck will not shift out of second. I know for sure as I can manually shift into second from D and no change, then when I manually shift into D again- it always shifts to third and then to OD with no problems. When there is a shift all is nice and smooth almost have to look at tach to even notice. Now this don't happen all the time and not only when cold. Now when I change filter, fluid, put in drain plug and adjust bands, should I think about the governor? I am thinking this problem may be dirty governor. This truck has 166,000 and I am sure never changed fluid, I know this from the plugs I changed. I am thinking taking off and cleaning or replacing. Since I am adding drain plug, i think cleaning is best idea, but I am not trans person. Some who claim to be trans people tell me that just changing fluid and filter is enough.

Last edited by diverjer; 12-20-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your gonna be doing the governor solenoid, may as well get one of the borg warner ones that allows for more flow and replace the pressure sensor too while you have it apart. No modifications are required, i'm planning on doing this along with sonnax manual and pressure valves in the valve body when i delete the check valve within the next couple weeks

Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM
diverjer
Professional

Well I finely moved the 59 olds out of the way and changed my tran fluid, filter, the check valve hose and put in a drain plug. After taking the pan off, the bottom looked pretty good for 167,000 miles. Only a gray silt like stuff on magnet and a small amount of gray silt in groves on bottom of pan. Not grainy and no chunks of anything.

After that I helped put a transmission in a 1967 El Camino, now my back is out of whack, to old for this stuff. Then had to push the Olds back in by hand, pulled it out with skid loader.

Took six quarts of ATF +4.

Still, especially when cold, doesn't always want to shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. By cold, I only mean around freezing- not that cold really. Also, rarely when stopping within a block of taking off, it is slow shifting back down. Always shifts into overdrive just fine. When warm rarely even a problem, sometimes slow going from 2nd to 3rd. Maybe I need to drive it more and/or drain and get some more new fluid in there.

On my daughter's 1997 Caravan it wouldn't shift out of 1st for a long time, only on the first drive of the day. After that all was fine. Transmission guy said when I described the problem- governor. Replacing that fixed the caravan.

Could that be the problem in this Dodge Ram 1500 46RE? I figured that or sticking valve. The TV cable maybe, but I think that would be a problem even when warm.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things....

Check TV cable adjustment and it could be the Gov sensor or solenoid (that was only one thing...)

And two -post pics of 59 Olds!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
diverjer
Professional

I should be over there in next couple weeks and will get pics. The friend where I use lift is 22 miles away, he is slow and I know the engine won't be rebuilt yet. Only once in the last 30 years have I even seen him in a hurry and that was rebuilding an engine in the skid loader. He has a backhoe that has been 15 years in repairing, Bud is slow, but he is almost 76. He has been working on a 1930 Ford, another guy (the owner of the 59 Olds) got tired of watching the lack of progress and is now taken over that job, actuall it is mostly putting body back together. It's all a long story.

I have thought about that cable, but all is well enough when warm. Then on page 1,750 of the manual, I just don't understand some of the instructions. They talk about a "transmission throttle lever", but not sure what that is and not labeled in picture of manual. I think it just means the spring lever is in full forward position. Also adjustment on mine is not like in pictures. If I unhook the throttle valve cable and everything looks to be in forward position, the cable connection looks to be centered on stud.

Now the sensor and solenoid look easy enough. For some reason simple things like a cable adjustment, even on a lawn mower, will screw me up. I may be hopeful, but I think things are getting better after putting on some miles.

I put drain plug in so I could go a couple hundred miles and drain and add more fluid, wanted to get more of the old out.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
diverjer
Professional

Finely remembered to get pictures of Olds, 1959. You can tell we don't rush much around here. Some other pictures of shop and on going projects, but Olds is there. They guy bought the Olds new and took on his honeymoon, been sitting in a field for a number of years. More projects in another building. I hate these vehicles with damn computers like my 96 Dodge. Should be a way to throw all that crap out and just have a car like the old days. Too mans sensors! http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pigfarmer/library/Shop

Last edited by diverjer; 03-18-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice shop and equipment. Too clottered.....59 Olds and the black coupe need to be "stored" in my garage....

What is the coupe in the background?

Quick Reply: Just change tran filter or have it flushed?