2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mirrors loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirrors loose

Outside mirrors on my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 are loose, they both move forward and backwards. I once had similar problems on an un-mentional brand vehicle and the mirrors look similar to this Dodge. On that truck (non Dodge) I could pop the black plastic cover off on the outside of mirror and tighten a bolt. Cover on the 1996 Dodge doesn't seem to want to pop off and I haven't given it a lot of force as don't want to break. Can someone point me to instructions on how to get in there and tighten the mirrors?

I seen the post on tech vs non tech and am confused as to what is considered tech, hope this isn't, looks like it is something most people would know, I may just have to give it more force.

Also when I turn key to on for starting, the SRI light (Maint Reqd) does not come on, the trans temp comes on. I am guessing the bulb is burnt out, maybe it was removed or may it doesn't come on for the few seconds before starting. I hooked scanning tool up and I don't have any codes.

Well for now I am going back to watch my K-State team kick Oklahoma State butts. Well I hope they do, they are starting off poorly. If I am posting wrong, let me know and i will learn.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could help. I had this problem back in 1997 with mine where it would fold back in over 70mph but the dealer replaced both mirrors so I never messed with it myelf. My only warantee claim.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

My mirrors are loose as well. Only fix I have seen is RTV but I dont want to do that. hopefully someone will chime in. IMO, this should be in the general section as it is (to me) a tech question a bout how to fix something.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't there be some screws behind the poor paneling or something?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 PM
diverjer
Professional

Section 23 page 24 of tech manual makes me think I will have to remove door panel and then remove mirror flag door seal, disconnect power mirror connections, then three screws to remove mirror from truck. Now that don't sound to bad, but what it don't say and the pictures don't show can I get in there once it's off and is there an adjustment to tighten a clamp down. My old Blazer had a cap I could pull off from the outside and just tighten down. Suppose to be nice next week, I may pull it out in sun and try it out.

K-State is kicking butt. Looks like they will now be 9 - 0 for the year.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diverjer
Section 23 page 24 of tech manual makes me think I will have to remove door panel and then remove mirror flag door seal, disconnect power mirror connections, then three screws to remove mirror from truck. Now that don't sound to bad, but what it don't say and the pictures don't show can I get in there once it's off and is there an adjustment to tighten a clamp down. My old Blazer had a cap I could pull off from the outside and just tighten down. Suppose to be nice next week, I may pull it out in sun and try it out.

K-State is kicking butt. Looks like they will now be 9 - 0 for the year.
Hardest part of that will be getting the door panel off and then back on

Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting it off is easy with a door panel tab popper thingy (Kinda like a fork/screwdriver combo).
Getting it back on is the tricky part because you tend to strip out or break a few of the door panel retainers.
Get them here http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Tri...s_p/a19213.htm
The dealership wants $3.50 for one and the door takes about 13 of them.
I got a friend with a 97 ram a new chrome mirror for his truck off ebay for about $25 (the glass was broken) so if you can't secure the mirror from the inside with some adhesive or screws or something then you can just think about a new one.
If I had that style mirror I would think about putting a wedge beside the mirror post.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 11-04-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the panel clips are salvagable if you lift panel up. Package of about 10 for about $5 at Autozone. But the panel tool as Sheriff mentioned will help make this easire and keep you from cracking door panel....like a dash...

Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
diverjer
Professional

Well I know how to fix and thought it was fixed until I got everything together and moved it around to where I wanted it. I will post a couple pics. At least I know what needs done. You are right that panel is difficult, but this time I managed to reuse all the clips, don't believe that will happen again, they are not looking that good. I broke one panel tool prying.

I put a piece of metal between the wedge and plate that pushes on the mirror shaft, that worked fine until I turned the mirror where I wanted it and then it was loose again, must be a flat spot on mirror shaft and by then I had it all back together. I did push the mirror back some and it is holding and was able to use mirror remote adjustment to get it good enough, but mirror is sticking out straighter more than I like.

I still think there is a flat spot on that mirror shaft and need it position where you see it and then find a way to force that wedge to push harder. Maybe something rubber next time i rip it apart.

Name:  DSC00611.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  DSC00613.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  37.3 KB

Last edited by diverjer; 11-04-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your idea with a small chunk of urethane (really firm rubber) would work pretty good. Then again, a chunk of rubber from the tread on an old tire would work too. That should allow you to move the mirror around a bit after getting it back on.

Quick Reply: Mirrors loose