2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So the transmission went out... Wanna hear your tranny failure stories!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
/thread for dlyter lol all them burnouts learned ya!!

random question b/c of ^. Does 47 bolt up in place of a 46?
Unfortunately no lol.. i seem to have an addiction to doing dumb stuff in a vehicle.. burnouts and going to fast are high up on the list

Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Do i get an award maybe atleast a cookie
You can have some popcorn! LOL

Not really. The 47 was designed for the V10 and the Cummins, but you can rebuild a 46 to 47 specs as far as toughness goes, but it could be a lot of money...

Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Unfortunately no lol.. i seem to have an addiction to doing dumb stuff in a vehicle.. burnouts and going to fast are high up on the list

BUT....some of the hard parts for the 47RE fit into the 46RE case, such as six gear planetary gear set, Direct clutch drum (more frictions) and a few others I cannot recall. So you can get some upgrades thte 46.....

Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few years ago, my transmission went out. Fluid stunk like hell and the bands were worn so badly the truck wouldn't move. I had it rebuilt and spent extra for upgrades like a cooler and a shift kit.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by TitanOneSeven
Ok, here's what I got.

My trans issue came up 2 days after I bought my truck 2 and a half years ago. I bought it knowing the trans was bad and needed to be replaced, but I wanted to drive it a little bit. Tried to take it on the highway and it wouldn't go into overdrive or lock-up. So I got off and started to head for home. Now on surface streets the trans would not downshift on it's own. If I shifted into the gear 1 lockout I could get the trans back into first and it would up shift fine. A mile later I was accelerating from a stoplight, felt a horrible, violent shaking, then a huge bang and what I could only describe as pop cans and in blender. I lost forward momentum. Tried to put it into first and I could move in first gear but nothing higher. I was 10 miles from home and it was mid-day. So I waited until midnight and drove the truck all the way home in first gear doing 20 MPH. Pulled the trans myself and brought it to the shop for a bench job, the guys there did not believe I had first gear and reverse with how bad the insides were chewed up. The trans couldn't be rebuilt because the break had damaged the insides of the case. Got a junk yard trans rebuilt and the truck has been running great ever since.
Wow... 20MPH home is awfully slow!! I would have been scared that the tranny would be spitting bullets all around! At least our transmission went out 6 miles from home LOL but we did have 3rd gear... Boy I remember hauling manure out, I would have to floor it to get it to go anywhere cause 1st eventually went out...

Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

So, I was hauling an 8700# trailer load up the grade and I noticed it seemed to be pulling too easy...then I drove down the other side of the hill and dropped off the lumber and cement and came home. Oh yeah, nothing unusual happened. Carry on.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by mantisman51
So, I was hauling an 8700# trailer load up the grade and I noticed it seemed to be pulling too easy...then I drove down the other side of the hill and dropped off the lumber and cement and came home. Oh yeah, nothing unusual happened. Carry on.
So your tranny was doing good?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Yeah. It was sarcasm. I guess I have the only 46RE that can pull more than 10# and not burn up.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah. It was sarcasm. I guess I have the only 46RE that can pull more than 10# and not burn up.
Rofl rofl rofl

Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Rofl Well ours pulled 15# and didn't burn up... Well kinda... It did eventually... Guess it wasn't designed for that.

Quick Reply: So the transmission went out... Wanna hear your tranny failure stories!