2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So the transmission went out... Wanna hear your tranny failure stories!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:47 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So the transmission went out... Wanna hear your tranny failure stories!

So the title says it all... But seriously, no techy arguments, just wanna hear your tranny (and tcase) stories of failures, what were your symptoms, any exciting happenings related to it. Manual or auto, doesn't matter...

Here's mine:

Got the engine work done, then drove the truck for a while, but the main harness needed replacing. So didn't drive it much. The transmission shifted fine, albeit a little jerky somedays. Now back a year or so... When we would tow something it would wine like mad when it downshifted into 2nd... Eventually while towing it wouldn't downshift. As time went on and more miles built up, it wouldn't downshift properly on hills even when it wasn't towing, and stepping on the accelerator had no effect. It would take a manual forced shift with the shift lever. I changed the transmission fluid and adjusted the rear/first gear band as well as changed the filter. The transmission pan had at least a teaspoon of metal shavings... One guy told me "Oh that's normal"... I found out later it wasn't... It didn't even have 20K since the last tranny fluid and filter change. The rear band was out of adjustment terribly as well.

So now, coming a year ahead to just after the engine work... One day the O/D switch light would come on when the ignition was turned on... Sometimes it would stay on, but most of the times it would come on until the engine was started, then go off a few seconds later. One day while running in for parts at the parts store which was 8 miles from my shop, it felt SOOOOO sluggish, even flooring it wouldn't get it going, until heading downhill then it took off like a wildcat... But it would become sluggish on the uphill... My check engine light had come on already cause I was messing with the O2 sensors to make sure it thought they were there... So not related. Well kinda. Stopped at the parts store to have them read and clear codes. Well, there were the two for the engine like I expected. But the guy goes, "Hey, there's at least 8 codes in this thing". So he wrote them down for me. On the way home we tried manually shifting the auto tranny, with little success, as we just tried putting it into 2nd. Then I said put it into first, and lo and behold the thing took off. So it was starting in 3rd, but could be shifted into 1st. 2nd gear had gone out (Actually, it probably was the overrunning clutch). Also when shifting from reverse to drive, it would jerk something terrible. Well when I got home I looked up the codes. I don't remember the code numbers, but they said that the torque converter was unable to unlock itself so it was staying locked in all the time even in 1st gear. It also indicated other problems, including things related to the governor. So after calling various transmission shops, I realized that the transmission HAD been going out on us for a year and we didn't realize it. I went out to check the TVC, and it was perfectly adjusted even though I never touched it... Later when I pulled the pan the normally red fluid was almost black, and the pan was almost level with metal shavings and clutch material... Oh well, so we got 148K out of it. Now I am converting it to manual....

So who has a better story? I am sure someone does!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No transmission problems here.
Sorry about that.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HA!! Ok ill play... I bought the truck in late 09.. Bearings in the transfer case started going bad in the spring of 2010. Finally during the summer it blew apart when hauling our boat home from the river.. Replaced that case with another from a junkyard.. Not even 2 months later that case cracked in half.. Took it back to the junkyard and they replaced it with no questions asked.. A few months after that it started making some funny noises and wasnt shifting to great. Crawled under the truck and found the transfer case was coming loose off the transmission.. Made everything nice and tight once again and a week later same results.. Cracked tcase.. Replaced it AGAIN!!! A few months later it started coming loose.. Soaked all threads with loc tite and tightened everything back up.. All was fine and dandy untill a few months ago when I was going down the road doing about 45 and everthing let loose.. Had no idea what happend. Saw the driveshaft slide past me and thought awww hell that aint to bad.. Got out and saw that the transfer case ripped apart from the transmission.. My loc tite fix held a little to tight since part of the transmission came with it.. Needless to say I have gone through a ton of t-cases.. I can include pictures to..

Number 1 tcase with bad bearings
[IMG][/IMG]

Number 2 split case
[IMG][/IMG]

Number 3 split case again
[IMG][/IMG]

Then the grand finale!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Enjoy!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

wtf man??? ^^

Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by jkeaton
wtf man??? ^^
Who? Me or dlyter09?

By the way dlyter09, you far beat us LOL... Worst on-road episode was when the u-joint I replaced on the rear driveshaft failed... Actually the one bearing cap snapped perfectly in half... Auto parts store replaced it and said they never had seen the likes LOL

Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Do i get an award maybe atleast a cookie

Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

No trans issues yet. *crosses fingers*

Just exhaust issues.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 AM
TitanOneSeven
Rookie

Ok, here's what I got.

My trans issue came up 2 days after I bought my truck 2 and a half years ago. I bought it knowing the trans was bad and needed to be replaced, but I wanted to drive it a little bit. Tried to take it on the highway and it wouldn't go into overdrive or lock-up. So I got off and started to head for home. Now on surface streets the trans would not downshift on it's own. If I shifted into the gear 1 lockout I could get the trans back into first and it would up shift fine. A mile later I was accelerating from a stoplight, felt a horrible, violent shaking, then a huge bang and what I could only describe as pop cans and in blender. I lost forward momentum. Tried to put it into first and I could move in first gear but nothing higher. I was 10 miles from home and it was mid-day. So I waited until midnight and drove the truck all the way home in first gear doing 20 MPH. Pulled the trans myself and brought it to the shop for a bench job, the guys there did not believe I had first gear and reverse with how bad the insides were chewed up. The trans couldn't be rebuilt because the break had damaged the insides of the case. Got a junk yard trans rebuilt and the truck has been running great ever since.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Never have heard of the 47RH's getting blown up. Nice job.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

/thread for dlyter lol all them burnouts learned ya!!

random question b/c of ^. Does 47 bolt up in place of a 46?

Quick Reply: So the transmission went out... Wanna hear your tranny failure stories!