2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What kind of exhaust system to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kejobe
I just put a Thrush Turbo on mine a few weeks ago. Had a FM 44. The FM had too much drone and I got tired of it quick. The TT has just about the same sound, just a little quieter and most importantly, doesnt have the drone. I can carry a conversation while driving now.
Yep, I found that my truck droned with the stock muffler, the Turbo you hardly hear it now.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove around for a bit with NO exhaust past the Y Pipes, try having a conversation or listening to the radio with that noise!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STACKS!!! Right up through the hood...

Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you are planning on doing the work yourself you can save a few $$ by going with a kit from http://www.truckexhaustkits.com/cate...l-Exhaust-Kit/

i bought their rear exit kit with a super 44 and modified it for 45 degree exits (they now offer this - didn't when i had ordered it), it cost me around $250 shipped for muffler, all pipes, bracketry, hardware and tips.

be warned that it isn't a plug and play setup. i had to weld a 10 inch extension on the drivers side pipe exiting the muffler order in for it to be in the proper place, among other things like fabbing up a mounting system for the factory rubber hanger.

if i were to do it again, i'd probably go with the flowmaster setup on summit for like $450 (however you only get straight out the back or 90 degree exits) there's a youtube video showing the install and it looks like a breeze.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
don't for get exhaust rain cap flappers. they make the headers or stacks coming through the hood a million times kooler.

i personally liked when my ram charger had a large leak between the cat and y-pipe. the leak in that 3" pipe would let the v8 roar when you stomped on it. i just wish i could have kept it that way.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Tampaguy77
Amateur

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
if you are planning on doing the work yourself you can save a few $$ by going with a kit from http://www.truckexhaustkits.com/cate...l-Exhaust-Kit/

i bought their rear exit kit with a super 44 and modified it for 45 degree exits (they now offer this - didn't when i had ordered it), it cost me around $250 shipped for muffler, all pipes, bracketry, hardware and tips.

be warned that it isn't a plug and play setup. i had to weld a 10 inch extension on the drivers side pipe exiting the muffler order in for it to be in the proper place, among other things like fabbing up a mounting system for the factory rubber hanger.

if i were to do it again, i'd probably go with the flowmaster setup on summit for like $450 (however you only get straight out the back or 90 degree exits) there's a youtube video showing the install and it looks like a breeze.
They have the Super 10 cat back exhaust for 199.99 I think Im gonna try that one. I have a good friend who does welding. I'll just do all the work over at his place. Thanks for the link!!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Tampaguy77
Amateur

So I found the exhaust I'm going to use..... Now should I do away with the Catalytic Converter, Or should I keep it on?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampaguy77
So I found the exhaust I'm going to use..... Now should I do away with the Catalytic Converter, Or should I keep it on?
According to the Feds you have to have one. But who cares about the Feds? Not me. Need to check local emission laws in your area. Do they do emission testing?

A legal option would be a MagnaFlow High Flow Cat, usually gotten for around $100

But either have NO cat or a functioning cat, not a gutted cat, it will sound like ****, might run like it too.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Drag pipes right out through the fenders would be wicked cool. Tune the thing to run a bit rich with retarded timing and they'd shoot flames when you romp on it. Feckin-Ay.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
dlyter09
Champion

Haha I know what I am doing now lol

Quick Reply: What kind of exhaust system to go with?