2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

To repair or not to repair the Plenum gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 PM
JaegeRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To repair or not to repair the Plenum gasket.

That is the question. I recently became a Ram owner, and lover. Consequently, a new member of dodge Forum as well. Hope I m doing this right.
After reading the Plenum sticky I feel like I need to replace my plenum. I bought a 99 1500 Ram with 104,000 m on it for $1700. It looks good and is a quad cab so I wondered why so cheap. Well two days later, it wouldn't go faster than 30 or 2000 rpm's. After a full day of research I cut off the cat and straight piped it. It worked. Now ive removed the num 8 spark plug and it was covered in ash. SO, do i need to do the plenum thing or not?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's quite likely that you need to replace that gasket. Check out the sticky here in the forum for far more than you ever wanted to know about it, including some hype and mythology for added flavor.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

only replace it if you have pinging, or oil usage and oil pooling visible in the bottom of the plenum.

if you have pinging, sometimes you can run 89 or 91 octane to avoid the ping and buy some time.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM
SilverSS
Captain

I would just replace it and get it out of the way when you have the time and $ to do it. Also the other associated things- inspect and/or replace - cap, rotor, plugs, wires, water pump, stat, all hoses, timing chain, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Nereaga
Captain

First thing I would do before you do anymore is a compression test. Since your cat was clogged badly, could have further damaged the engine heads. Good chance he knew about the issues but couldn't diagnosed them or repair them so he sold cheap.

If the engine is still good, might have gotten a good deal. If not, well get the wallet out.

Brad

Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nereaga
First thing I would do before you do anymore is a compression test. Since your cat was clogged badly, could have further damaged the engine heads. Good chance he knew about the issues but couldn't diagnosed them or repair them so he sold cheap.

If the engine is still good, might have gotten a good deal. If not, well get the wallet out.

Brad

Yep. Those symptoms describe a clogged cat. Were it me, I'd get completely **** redundant and yank the engine for a complete rebuild, including the plenum, and I'd install a new exhaust system. Replace both O2 sensors for sure.

After that, you'll have a dependable, durable running truck.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Yep. Those symptoms describe a clogged cat. Were it me, I'd get completely **** redundant and yank the engine for a complete rebuild, including the plenum, and I'd install a new exhaust system. Replace both O2 sensors for sure.

After that, you'll have a dependable, durable running truck.
Until the trans goes out due to the....

SHEER AMOUNT OF MANLY POWER the engine makes now.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

is there no one piece plentum as a replacement

Last edited by h3lzsn1p3r; 01-03-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Hughes Air-Gap intake, or Chrysler M-1 manifold. Those are the only two options.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM
woodtrucker
Professional

I had ash and oil on the #8 plug and one year after plenum fix I have no ash and oil and no money...glad it's fixed
Don't forget to replace tb gasket, rotor cap and button, thermostat hose, and new plugs and wires while you are in there.
My next fixes will be new exhaust system including headers and getting rid of the stock air intake. I'm so tired of fighting with it to get it back on right!

Quick Reply: To repair or not to repair the Plenum gasket.