2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Question On Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
I thought you had but couldn't remember. But you can bet the truck that the cat is clogged.
How can you say that?

I don't see the OP posting about engine operation problems....

Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Joe C
So with it being clogged, other than robbing power, will it hurt any to drive it till summer when I replace everything???
The increased exhaust back pressure not only robs power, but it can raise combustion chamber temps. which can lead to head cracking, a pretty common problem on these thinwall head castings.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
How can you say that?

I don't see the OP posting about engine operation problems....
Just using my own personal experience. I cut my cat out 9 months after I did the plenum change, not because of engine performance issues, the truck was running perfectly, but because I wanted it gone, and sure enough it was clogged up. Truck is much more responsive and even holds overdrive much better with the cat gone too..

Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just using my own personal experience. I cut my cat out 9 months after I did the plenum change, not because of engine performance issues, the truck was running perfectly, but because I wanted it gone, and sure enough it was clogged up. Truck is much more responsive and even holds overdrive much better with the cat gone too..
How does it sound without the cat? You got a muffler on there?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Johnn123
How does it sound without the cat? You got a muffler on there?
Stock muffler at the moment. Not the best video but;

Little rapsy when you let off from getting on it. It's quiet when driving though, you don't notice it.

Wanna put in a MagnaFlow sooner or later...

Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

I actually quite like that! Might have to pull mine off, cept I got emissions round here -_-
Not to thread jack but how did you remove and install pipe?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM
stewie01
Legend

I actually quite like that! Might have to pull mine off, cept I got emissions round here -_-
Not to thread jack but how did you remove and install pipe?
Removing the pipe is a PITA because there isn't much room between the top of the pipe an the bottom of the cab, but I used a hack saw and an air grinder, then welded in the new pipe, which for the same lack of clearance on the top is a PITA too.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

It all the same size? Ive never actually looked that far up on mine lol

Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM
stewie01
Legend

It all the same size? Ive never actually looked that far up on mine lol
No. The cat inlet is 3" and the exhaust pipe after the cat is 2.5". Had to get creative as none of the part stores in town had a 3" to 2.5" reducer, bastards.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+10000 to that. Had a SIGNIFICANT increase in low end torque and overall performance when switching to an O/R Y, even on a 100k km truck. The driveability on the highway was so much better, and I gained around 2mpg.

Removing the pipe is a PITA because there isn't much room between the top of the pipe an the bottom of the cab, but I used a hack saw and an air grinder, then welded in the new pipe, which for the same lack of clearance on the top is a PITA too.
Feel lucky that you have a a SI/SO cat that you could just cut and replace. I have a '97 and had to go with a Jeg's offroad Y and which I need to swap out for the stock one every 2 years to do my emissions test. It is a PITA but totally worth it for the substantial performance/mileage gain/sound increase.

BTW you really need a muffler for that thing, it has the potential to sound infinitely better than it does now

Quick Reply: Question On Catalytic Converter