2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cummins, CAT, International NaviStar, Hemi, Allison, Aisin...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
you have got to be the most thick headed 17YO i have ever met!

you have been told NUMEROUS times about getting a truck to do the job. stop thinking your 1500 can do it all, no matter the mods you have done, its still illegal!
Hey man, don't get me wrong! I wasn't saying I was gonna do it! Just dreaming.. That's all. So no need to worry man, I haven't lost my head or forgot our prior discussions.

And yes we are getting a truck to do the job SAFELY. Gonna look at one tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford Ranger should do the job nicely.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01

Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Stewie ROFL... No we are gonna get a 1 ton. So redneck I am not a thick head. Like I said just dreaming...

Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Jigabop
Champion

But a stock V10 has more HP and Torque then a STOCK 12v Cummins and SOME (depending on model) 24v Cummins......
umm no... V10 never had more torque than the 24v cummins of any model. cummins had them beat by 10lbs/ft and we all know if you throw a tuner on a V10 and a tuner on a cummins, the V10 might make 10-30hp more and 10-40tq more...but the cummins will make about 65-160hp more (24v VP44) and over 400lbs/ft more torque.

need an example? here was my truck when it was stock with straight pipe, aftermarket lift pump(fuel transfer pump), a boost elbow (stops wastegate from opening at 26psi), and boost fooler(pigtail that blocks ECM from seeing actual boost levels to prevent CEL from coming on), vs my fueling box turned up.

Name:  dynorunSvsP.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  41.5 KB

as for the 12v's: a few wrench turns and screw turns on the pump and it will put out more power than the V10...comparing gasoline engines to a cummins is just pointless. with very simple mods a diesel can almost double its power output...and with a few more bolt on mods it can over double its power output easily, and still maintain reliability...

Originally Posted by BIGRED97
Jeep had the diesel in the liberty in 2003, it was a mistake! it was a terribly underpowered hunk of junk. the only problem i have with a halfton diesel is that it wouldnt be a cummins (most likely, due to weight issues) it would probably be another mercedes disaster or overpirced vw engine, or even worse a chinese or indian diesel. I just dont see Ram or Jeep doing a small diesel any true justice. The 1/2 ton truck market is not built for people who do true work.
Theres a chick on cummins forum that has a 2nd gen 1500 with a stock 12v in it.

She has it for reliability and fuel economy. its not tuned for power.

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Couldnt agree more.. The liberty was a joke with the diesel engine... A halfton with a Cummins 6bt would be sweet.. Just wouldnt be practical.. Dodge wont re design their frames to accecpt such a heavy and big motor.. They will just throw something in their that is smaller and like BigRed said it would be a disaster..
4bt or 6bt would work fine in there. Just don't crank up the power or the axles and trans will go...

Originally Posted by drewactual
believe it or not, my truck has only a little work done.. the DPF fell off in a thunderstorm (uh, sorta).. the EGR was stolen.. and the tuner magically appeared on my dash one morning.. all for a total of about $2k, and a few hours of labor.. I put in a better lift pump for around $600.. I should have a solid truck for a while, now.. (fingers crossed).. I knew nothing about these engines before I owned one, and can say I'm stupid lucky to find one for the price and mileage i found it for.. it is a 'rodders dream.. just bolt ons will cross the 700hp barrier.. a few other tweaks and you can hit 900hp.. the trans holds solid unless you beat on it.. the entire platform simply suffered from two merging storms- the argument between navstar and ford, and the EPA mandates..

the 6.4psd by international was the last of the diesels truly epa 'fixable'.. 6.4's made all the improvements over the 6.0 that needed to be made to make it solid, but it suffered from EPA mandates that caused it it's own form of misery.. that said- it is the last of the engines that are truly able to eliminate certain gov't mandated functions..

but in a perfect world-

a pre-'06 5.9 ctd is the one you want.. you can run whatever fuel you want.. if you can find a pre '00 12v, that is even better.. w/ maybe $15k of work, you'll have as solid an engine as could ever be expected.. would literally last a lifetime.
all I see is ford ford ford

as for pre '00 12v? why not a 24v with P7100 conversion if you want that 12v mechanical reliability which was referring to the injection pump..later 24v trucks didn't have the killer dowel pin issue like the 12v's did. and they can be converted to P7100. though there are actually several VP44 motors in the million mile club now. 24v's are just as reliable if you take care of the fuel supply issue (junk factory lift pumps)

Last edited by Jigabop; 01-11-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Jigabop
umm no... V10 never had more torque than the 24v cummins of any model. cummins had them beat by 10lbs/ft and we all know if you throw a tuner on a V10 and a tuner on a cummins, the V10 might make 10-30hp more and 10-40tq more...but the cummins will make about 65-160hp more (24v VP44) and over 400lbs/ft more torque.

need an example? here was my truck when it was stock with straight pipe, aftermarket lift pump(fuel transfer pump), a boost elbow (stops wastegate from opening at 26psi), and boost fooler(pigtail that blocks ECM from seeing actual boost levels to prevent CEL from coming on), vs my fueling box turned up.

as for the 12v's: a few wrench turns and screw turns on the pump and it will put out more power than the V10...comparing gasoline engines to a cummins is just pointless. with very simple mods a diesel can almost double its power output...and with a few more bolt on mods it can over double its power output easily, and still maintain reliability...
Ok, I was wrong on the 24V. Wrong info the web then.

The point was in STOCK form the V10 has a bit more then the 12V.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Ok, I was wrong on the 24V. Wrong info the web then.

The point was in STOCK form the V10 has a bit more then the 12V.
12V still wins in my book lol..

it lasts 10x longer, gets better fuel economy, and its so easy to increase power with its ridiculous!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Jigabop
12V still wins in my book lol..

it lasts 10x longer, gets better fuel economy, and its so easy to increase power with its ridiculous!
And I agree.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the v10 is impressive when comparing stock to stock, especially in 97 and 98 or even 01. that was some great power. but the reliability of diesel is incomparable. sure ive seen plenty of gassers over 300k miles. but looks at their repairs list.

i really like the idea of a 4bt conversion, that one mooch did looked pretty sweet, i gotta find me an old fedex truck and swap over. my dad has a pretty sweet 72 international pickup that is need of a new drive-train, i think it needs a diesel.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Or a Frito Lays truck would get you one as well.

Quick Reply: Cummins, CAT, International NaviStar, Hemi, Allison, Aisin...