2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Brake lines/ sway bar links

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
mldavis56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lines/ sway bar links

Im looking for any help i can get on my 1995 Ram 1500 4WD. I recently put a 5 in suspension on my truck, once i did that, it seemed like everything started going out. I took it in to get the alignment done and on my way in, i lost all power to the brakes. They told me before they would do the alignment, i needed to have the inner tie rod replaced, the sway bar links replaced, the track bar replaced and that i had busted a brake line and the master cylinder had blown. I have replaced the master cylinder, the links and the track bar, about to do the tie rod end as well. my problem is as follows, with the sway bar links, they are rubbing on the outer tie rod, and i cant get them to stop and as for the brake lines, the line that blew is one of the ones that run along the frame and it blew just over the tank. any ideas or suggestions on how to replace it without having to drop the tank or lift the bed? anything helps

Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

For the brake line, just cut it where you can see it, remove what you can, and run a new line. Don't worry about removing the old one.

Do the links rub when the truck is sitting on the ground? Can you post a pic?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
mldavis56

i can take a pic, but how do i upload it? it does rub only when its sitting on the ground. as for the brake line, im not sure exactly where it blew, and i dont have a flaring tool.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Flaring tools can be had for pretty cheap. You can more than likely buy all the tools, some line, some fluid, and some beer.... for less than what you would spend having someone else fix it.

It likes to break RIGHT above the gas tank. Of course..... Follow the line forward to where there is a flare fitting, start there, and just run new line all the way back to where it hits the soft line.

For Pics, upload to someplace like photobucket, or imageshack, and then just link here.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 PM
mldavis56

The closest flare fitting runs all the way to the abs port, underneath the hood and runs all the way back to the soft line just above the rear drum. I found a line at the auto zone next to my house for about 8 dollars and the are already flared

Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the line is pretty close to the right length, that will work just fine, if it's too long.... you will need to shorten it, and then reflare the end. (don't forget to put the flare nut before you actually flare the end of the line...... don't ask.....)

Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the line is pretty close to the right length, that will work just fine, if it's too long.... you will need to shorten it, and then reflare the end. (don't forget to put the flare nut before you actually flare the end of the line...... don't ask.....)

heehee....

Quick Reply: Brake lines/ sway bar links