2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

96 Ram 1500 318 supercharger? Paxton...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
RamathornJake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram 1500 318 supercharger? Paxton...

I am seriously considering hooking my lightly modified 318 up with some more horses. Some of the superchargers in question are Vortech and Paxton; specifically the Paxton NOVI-1200 for small block mopars. I know that Vortech makes a supercharger specifically for my year and engine but it is pretty expensive. I just found this Paxton and saw that it is significantly cheaper but I am not sure if it will work. I would like to know what superchargers will work on my truck with minimum modification. I don't want to hear turbo or nitrous nonsense; I have decided that I am going to put a supercharger on it if I ever do. Don't hate, just trying to get some info since google doesn't seem to be working and most of the threads are about turbos. BTW sorry for the wall of words.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Unless you can find a bolt-on kit, you are going to be in for some serious fab work. There used to BE kits, that were 'simple' bolt-ons, but, I haven't seen one for a while now. They are still out there on the used market though. That maybe be your best bet. (unless you have the tools/skills to make the brackets and such)

You should be able to run up to about 7 pounds of boost on a stock motor, in good condition, but, don't forget PCM mods that are going to be required as well. Custom tuning, or a 'piggy-back' system to control fuel/timing are going to be required.

Forced induction is never cheap.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing this is the one you are referring to... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pa...iew/make/dodge
I think they would be difficult to adapt to a new FI motor as they are made for carb'd motors. I would be interested to see if anyone has adapted the kit however supercharger info for these trucks is so scarce as it is.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
RamathornJake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
I'm guessing this is the one you are referring to... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pa...iew/make/dodge
I think they would be difficult to adapt to a new FI motor as they are made for carb'd motors. I would be interested to see if anyone has adapted the kit however supercharger info for these trucks is so scarce as it is.
yup that is the one exactly. I damn if i know that information is scarce on superchargers for these trucks. its a damn shame because the 318 is a relatively common engine. ill look into it more and wait for more responses on here. thanks for the info so far

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 318 supercharger? Paxton...