2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Which Battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Hylander7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after much research I went with, Wait for it !

Walmart MAXX !
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/16795241

I found almost no bad reviews on this one and the Auto Zone Duralast Gold.
The Walmart was less expensive and beter CCA.
Both have 3yr. replacement
I found a ton of bad reviews on the Optima's
I would have gone with O'Reilly's AGM but being recently unemployed the funds just are not there.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Darren270
Rookie

I've got nothing bad to say about Duralast Gold batteries (using one in my Ram right now). I had one in an old Oldsmobile Achieva that lasted nearly 7 years. Every DieHard battery I've ever bought crapped out in less than 3 years.

I've never owned an Optima, they were standard equipment in all the vehicles we used in the Air Force. I think it might be a case where they really good at one time but the quality has severely declined as I too have heard a lot of negative things about them in the last few years.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

The MAXX should serve you well. The one in my truck is from '07 and it still seemed to do fine through this past winter.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an Interstate.

Haven't met a bad one yet.

My sister has Duralasts in her Rams, both were replaced that the same time, but one already crapped out, was replaced under warranty but it wouldn't hold a charge.
Everstart Maxx in my dad's Ram. It's several years old now and doesn't QUITE have the pop it used to. Granted, I think it is like 4 years old now...

Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

I had heard the new optimas were bad but I never looked in to it

Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
OptimaJim
Former Vendor

Hello, I noticed your conversation involving our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. The quality of our batteries has always been excellent and the batteries we are manufacturing today are the best we have ever made. Ask enough people their opinions on any battery and you'll eventually get negative feedback on every brand, even people praising one product and bashing another, without knowing they are made by the same manufacturer or even on the same line. If any battery fails from a manufacturing defect, it is likely to do so well within the first year of use, if not the first month. Beyond that point, premature battery failures can usually be traced back to how the battery was used (or neglected).

The key to maximizing battery life, regardless of brand, is proper voltage maintenance. Whenever any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts, sulfation begins to form, which diminishes both capacity and lifespan. That makes a quality battery maintenance device an excellent investment for any vehicle that doesn't see regular use. Fully-charged, our RedTops will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts, while our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts.

If your battery ever gets deeply-discharged to the point that you need a jump-start, it is a good idea to fully-recharge the battery with a battery charger as soon as possible. Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries. Asking that task of an alternator can lead to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery or alternator fails.

A lot of the problems folks have with their batteries could be avoided, if they just understood that much about their batteries and the need to properly-maintain them. If anyone has any questions about our products, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Last edited by jasonw; 03-26-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Deleted link, per rules.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
Hello, I noticed your conversation involving our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. The quality of our batteries has always been excellent and the batteries we are manufacturing today are the best we have ever made. Ask enough people their opinions on any battery and you'll eventually get negative feedback on every brand, even people praising one product and bashing another, without knowing they are made by the same manufacturer or even on the same line. If any battery fails from a manufacturing defect, it is likely to do so well within the first year of use, if not the first month. Beyond that point, premature battery failures can usually be traced back to how the battery was used (or neglected).

The key to maximizing battery life, regardless of brand, is proper voltage maintenance. Whenever any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts, sulfation begins to form, which diminishes both capacity and lifespan. That makes a quality battery maintenance device an excellent investment for any vehicle that doesn't see regular use. Fully-charged, our RedTops will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts, while our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts.

If your battery ever gets deeply-discharged to the point that you need a jump-start, it is a good idea to fully-recharge the battery with a battery charger as soon as possible. Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries. Asking that task of an alternator can lead to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery or alternator fails.

A lot of the problems folks have with their batteries could be avoided, if they just understood that much about their batteries and the need to properly-maintain them. If anyone has any questions about our products, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
Thank you Jim for that info. That is good stuff to know. Welcom to DF!

Last edited by jasonw; 03-26-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Deleted link in quote.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
If you can find an AC Delco battery, they are made by a reliable company, and carry a very long warranty period.

I have always used Advance Auto's AutoCraft Gold batteries for convenience sake, and they have a decent warranty. Made by the same company as AC Delco's, just not as long a warranty.

I hate to say it, but Walmart's batteries are made by the same or just as reliable a company. I have a battery manufacturer list here somewhere that lists who makes every brand of auto/marine battery, I will see if I can find it.

I'd like to see that list, because IIRC there are only three or four manufacturers of automotive batteries in the US.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Originally Posted by OptimaJim

Jim McIlvaine
I have always trusted optima as well as interstate never had issues but like you stated there is always a few that have issues and complaints. I am going on 13 years with the same redtop next year I will replace it with a redtop again

Last edited by jasonw; 03-26-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Deleted link in quote.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

I just go to battery wholesale, and get the biggest, meanest, battery that will physically fit. I could probably drive to detroit on the starter motor......

Quick Reply: Which Battery ?