2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

97 Dodge 2500..Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Will they give you the 3/3000 warranty on it? And what does it cover?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM
RamNewbie97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea Wombat I'm pretty maxed out at 10k as far as budget goes. this will not be an everyday rig but a weekend warrior that I will be taking on camping trips pulling a small RV and of course the weekend projects and such. I have found a bunch of good trucks for much cheaper but they were either single cab or 2WD which neither works for me. But I'm still looking on the internet this morning to see if anything new has popped up. I appreciate everyones responses, thanks! I will be letting them know they need to fix the problem or no deal.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I could build one heck of a nice truck for 10k. There is just no way I would pay that price for a 97. Keep looking there has to be better trucks for better prices out there. You ever try cross border truck shopping there are some great deals to be had in BC, Canada these days.

Have a look http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-...AdIdZ471854259

Last edited by merc225hp; 04-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
RamNewbie97
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RamNewbie97
The price has been agreed upon (9k) and the paper work is waiting for my signature here is the problem. I've been searching for a good used pickup for the past month and frankly I'm tired of looking (LOL)..I came across this 1997 Dodge 2500 4WD, 5.9V8, 5 speed manual tranny with 95k miles on it and appears to be in very good condition. It's a 1 owner and the truck was owned locally. I took it out for a test drive and everything about it I really liked. engine and ride seemed tight, under carriage and skid plate looked clean, truck bed was in great condition, interior leather and carpets were also in nice condition. On my way back to the dealer a "Check Engine" light came on which I'm very concerned about and am now thinking of pulling out of the deal. they told me it's probably an emissions thing and more than likely an easy fix. I negotiated a price with the stipulation that I would fix the problem and the more I think about it the more I'm getting cold feet. The one other thing that bothered me was when I braked hard during the test drive the truck would pull hard left. Anyway what do you people think I should do? By the way this would be my first Dodge truck as I've only owned Ford's and 1 Chevy before this.
There are some things wrong as you have noticed. The seller probably know it is not a cheap and easy fix, or they would be doing it themselves to retain value in the truck. They knock off $1000 that they would have negotiated anyway. No real consideration on their part (I used to sell cars and trucks for a living - you set the ask higher than you want to actually get...)

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nada says clean retail is just under 7K...... That assumes excellent condition, and fully loaded. (options.) Nada doesn't differentiate by area though..... so, that may play a role as well. (and, you can bet that since its a dealer, they inflate the price some as well.)

They should have the capability to see what the CEL is whining about, and I would have that checked BEFORE you sign any papers. If it IS simple, let THEM fix it for the money they are asking for it. If they don't want to. Walk away.
They probably have half the ask as their cost. That allows for serous negotiating room. But if you are young, they will not negotiate as deeply as they will with an older person. They feel your inexperience will be in their favor.

Don't do anything until YOU see what the code is. They know and are BS'ing you. MAKE THEM fix it for the money they are asking for it. If they don't want to. Walk away!

Actually I did have them take a grand off, they were asking 10k for it.
That's what they call "chump change" discount.
Don't stop there - they win and snicker as you drive off.

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
Howdy. As a fellow PNW'er I can tell you right now that you will come across a better deal than that if you keep searching. This may not be a bad truck, but $9000 is a lot for a 16 year old v8 powered truck. 2500 is a plus, 5spd 2500 is an even bigger plus, low miles is good. I love my '95 2500 5spd.

Is the truck a Club or Regular Cab? Long bed? How is the interior? The fact that they used the word "probably" in their CEL diagnosis means they don't have a clue, so you can give them zero credit on the "probably emmissions related" part.

If you REALLY want that truck, then that is your hard earned cash you can choose to do whatever you'd like with it. If you aren't particularly attached to it, there are deals around here for Cummin's powered 2nd gens in that price range if you check craigslist regularly. They may need a bit more work and have more miles on them, but they will always hold their value due to the Cummins engine, and they will never stop running if taken care of properly.
Take Wombat with you to renegotiate!

And that truck would be no more than $5K here. So market does matter. Check KBB for more info.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Yea Wombat I'm pretty maxed out at 10k as far as budget goes. this will not be an everyday rig but a weekend warrior that I will be taking on camping trips pulling a small RV and of course the weekend projects and such. I have found a bunch of good trucks for much cheaper but they were either single cab or 2WD which neither works for me. But I'm still looking on the internet this morning to see if anything new has popped up. I appreciate everyones responses, thanks! I will be letting them know they need to fix the problem or no deal.
OP that is a really nice looking truck. Also, the very first loaded 2500 Club cab I have ever seen equipped with a 5spd behind the v8. The only problem I see with it is the price. It's just a 360. yes, nice truck, yes, it will last a long time if taken care of, but it just doesn't have the value that they are asking for it. I wouldn't go any higher than $7000 OUT THE DOOR. Walk in there and offer 6 for it. Flash the cash under their noses (only $6000 to start with). If they decline, walk out. If they counter offer, slowly keep adding things to the deal, like them fixing the CEL, and work your way in 1-2 hundred dollar increments towards $7000. Don't budge on $7000 out the door, and if you have the cash there with you I bet they will go for it.

I know this is apples to oranges, but last November I bought my '93 Cummins club cab long bed, which is a total cherry of a truck, and has over $15000 in aftermarket sunk in to it, for $8000. The truck stock could get over $10k to the right buyer, and twin turbo's with all the supporting mods and all kinds of other upgrades only help. It's in wonderful shape, and will last way longer than any v8 truck. it has 256k on it currently, but starts faster than modern diesels, and drives like new. I would personally keep my eyes open for a deal on a Cummins.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 PM
RamNewbie97

I called them up and told them to fix or no deal. I will then take it to a mechanic to run through everything. Wombat you are right I could go private party and get a truck much cheaper but Ive been going to dealers which as all of you know ask much higher prices. I do like this truck because of the manual and the 360 match up and besides the issue of the CEL it's a very nice condition truck. I will not buy a Dodge with a auto tranny because I don't trust them. Besides I'm sorta old school I like the manuals. I offered 8k to begin with but they would not budge below 9k. Anyway thats not what I'm worried about as I just want to make sure this is a good reliable pickup that will give me years of worry free driving.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I am all about manuals as well. Both my trucks (wow, I only have two right now...) are 5spd's. The 360/NV4500 matchup is pretty sweet. The magnum 360's are very long lasting motors, it will give you many years of trouble free service if you take good care of it. Mine has 375k on the odometer and will still smoke the rear 35" tires, with 3.55 gears that is pretty impressive. Only a small puff of smoke at startup, and sometimes at full throttle. Great motors no doubt about it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM
gdstock
Legend

Read over the Plenum sticky here very closely. When you take it to a mechanic, make sure he knows what the plenum issue is, and have him check it out. If it is bad, it could be the CEL issue, and this is not a cheap repair (due more to labor than parts).

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge 2500..Should I buy?