2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dana 60 Swap!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're not willing or realize that buying Wombat's truck is viable, then it's going to be surreal in going down the path of doing the swap. I'm saying that the cost of swapping compared to the cost of Wombat's rig is very comparable. Even more so when you don't have the skills to do all or even some of the work.

Merc hinted at what level it is just to get axles in hand and go through them. Most that you find are how old again??? and treated like how???

You saying:
And I wanna swap because overkill that's why
pretty much kills any further useful info for you since application matters alot. Meaning there are some aspects you could toss out if you remain stock height.

The money you'd be doing for this would be enough for a downpayment on a newer truck with 4.10s..... lol

But really you are looking at this b/c you want to match those super stiff front diesel springs + the rake.

where is h3lzsniper!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
If you're not willing or realize that buying Wombat's truck is viable, then it's going to be surreal in going down the path of doing the swap. I'm saying that the cost of swapping compared to the cost of Wombat's rig is very comparable. Even more so when you don't have the skills to do all or even some of the work.

Merc hinted at what level it is just to get axles in hand and go through them. Most that you find are how old again??? and treated like how???

You saying:

pretty much kills any further useful info for you since application matters alot. Meaning there are some aspects you could toss out if you remain stock height.

The money you'd be doing for this would be enough for a downpayment on a newer truck with 4.10s..... lol

But really you are looking at this b/c you want to match those super stiff front diesel springs + the rake.

where is h3lzsniper!
Yep WN good words.

Lot's say you need to put Dana's under your truck, but many have no idea how much it costs to do this. So far I am over $1500 to do this swap no labor all parts, this includes the cost of the diff's. I am doing this only because I got a great deal on the diff's and I am very tired of replacing the same list of front end parts every year, I am hoping that the upgrade will cut back some of these parts. To add to the cost if you need to change out the gears then add another $500-$1000 to the tab then add new carriers or a locker or two add another $1500. So WN is right there is more than enough for a down payment on a new truck.

You can make some money back by selling the used stuff from under the truck but don't think it will even come close to covering half the cost of this, it's not a sellers market right now.

On a side note up here I can install all the 3/4 ton parts I want and that does not change my GVWR one bit it's still just a 1/2 ton and thats all it can carry legally.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

True true. I like working on MY truck though. Sure I could buy a new truck or just buy a 2500. But so can my mom and she doesn't know the difference between a rachet and a socket.

If this was a commercial/business truck I would not invest the time or labor for these parts because it would still be legally a 1500 in the eyes of the law. But it's my personal truck and I want to make it unique.

I don't have any plans for lifting any more or any major off roading mods like WN has. And those coils are not that stuff

I would live to buy wombats truck, it is the perfect ideal truck I need to do everything I want to do. I need to talk to him about that to see if it is anywhere close to feasible

Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gona say you can get a conversion u joint for like $30 and rear axle swap kit for $130 and throw a 14 bolt under there, but I remembered on the 98?+ trucks the speedo's in the axle. Maybe there's a practical way around that and then you would have a much cheaper (maybe) and stronger axle.

Edit: I'm talking about the rear of course!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star

I think it would be the same as a 60 except you might need a shorter driveshaft because a 70 has a longer pinion or carrier or something like that? Good gear ratio and limited slip is a plus.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:49 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Yes it will same work as I am doing, just need to shorten the rear DS 1.5" more than I did and change the yoke on the DS or the diff as the diff will come with a yoke for a 1410 u-joint. Possible master cyld to change as well as it has rear discs.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:56 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

you can come up to NH and get my d70, 3.55's with lsd. you can have it for 300 bucks!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
you can come up to NH and get my d70, 3.55's with lsd. you can have it for 300 bucks!
I'm in VA it would cost more than 300 dollars haut to drive my truck up there

I actually missed the rear disc brakes. That would probably be a pita

Old 08-11-2013, 12:53 PM
merc225hp
Champion

That's the preferred diff with disk brakes, just get the master at the same time and the e brake cables. How much for the diff's did you call him?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dana 60 Swap!