2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

new member with a long to do list!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlindU
luckily the hughes set comes with new bolts!
Thats where I got mine. NAPA quoted me over $80 for a set. Myself I used new ones, better safe then sorry. FWIW I only broke one bolt, but nothing a pair of vice-grips, some release all and a torch couldn't take care of.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with this part number from Ma Mopar, P4876772 Intake Manifold Attaching Bolts (5.2L/5.9L Truck Magnum/Jeep Engine $7.75 give or take for the set. At this price it a no brainer not to change them, so tty or not just do it.

Last edited by merc225hp; 08-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 PM
BlindU
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright so i finally completed everything. I took my time figuring out what goes where, i didn't end up doing the timing chains, because everything in that area looked suspiciously clean.

i already have the set, so ill just wait until I have more free time, since now im familiar with taking stuff apart on that engine.

Now here comes the problem:

I assembled everything, i took it for a test drive, and WOW that engine is smooth as silk. its just as smooth as my 2012 VW. but after driving for a bit, I noticed that my gauge it way past 210F... and was creeping up to 260. im trying to think here whats going on. I think it might be a stuck thermostat? I didnt get the chance to test it first, I burped the coolant, but ran out of time as night time came. The problem i am having is that with heat on at full blast, I get cold air. any clues?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

alright so i finally completed everything. I took my time figuring out what goes where, i didn't end up doing the timing chains, because everything in that area looked suspiciously clean.

i already have the set, so ill just wait until I have more free time, since now im familiar with taking stuff apart on that engine.

Now here comes the problem:

I assembled everything, i took it for a test drive, and WOW that engine is smooth as silk. its just as smooth as my 2012 VW. but after driving for a bit, I noticed that my gauge it way past 210F... and was creeping up to 260. im trying to think here whats going on. I think it might be a stuck thermostat? I didnt get the chance to test it first, I burped the coolant, but ran out of time as night time came. The problem i am having is that with heat on at full blast, I get cold air. any clues?
Did you put a new stat in when you did it? Stant stats are usually pretty good. As for a/c issue could be blend door.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 PM
BlindU
Rookie

yes i put a new stat in. I don't have an AC issue, it just blows air from outside when I put the heat on at full blast.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

yes i put a new stat in. I don't have an AC issue, it just blows air from outside when I put the heat on at full blast.
What stat did ya use? Sure ya got all the air out? Let me reword a/c to climate control issue, blend door should still apply there if I understand right.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 PM
BlindU
Rookie

ah gotcha. sorry

i bought the one from Hughes engine. 195 deg stainless stat.

i didn't burp it all the way. I was doing it with my dad and I put about as much as I took out initially, and then he said fill up the coolant tank, and it'll live. I guess tomorrow morning first thing I do is burp it properly.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

ah gotcha. sorry

i bought the one from Hughes engine. 195 deg stainless stat.

i didn't burp it all the way. I was doing it with my dad and I put about as much as I took out initially, and then he said fill up the coolant tank, and it'll live. I guess tomorrow morning first thing I do is burp it properly.
Ya definitely try burping it all the way and filling it up. Could be simple as that! Much easier if you do it on a hill.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 AM
BlindU
Rookie

i did burp it now, and was getting annoyed that the temp gauge kept creeping up to 260. then, all of a sudden, it went down to 220ish and stayed there. i drove it for about half hour today, and temp gauge stayed at the last 0 in 200, which i assume is 220ish? It didn't move from there at all, either in traffic or on the highway. i guess ill be burping it again in the afternoon.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Yeah, prolly still have an air bubble in there.

Mine runs right around the 200 above or below.... just depends on the day.

Quick Reply: new member with a long to do list!