2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5" Lift Is On!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
A Dana 44 is just Too small for such large and heavy tires. Tears through front end parts
Do they make heavier duty front end parts to handle the bigger tires though?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Not that I know of. I know you can swap out to stronger axles off a Chevy or something, but that's about it.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...ng-locking-etc

Read up on this, they have some heavier duty parts for a dana 44. Should find some decent info.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Not that I know of. I know you can swap out to stronger axles off a Chevy or something, but that's about it.
Chevy parts on a Dodge?!

Originally Posted by Blue Mopar01
http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...ng-locking-etc

Read up on this, they have some heavier duty parts for a dana 44. Should find some decent info.
Thanks man, anything to help will work. I don't plan on going bigger than 35s anyway.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
Chevy parts on a Dodge?!

Thanks man, anything to help will work. I don't plan on going bigger than 35s anyway.
It was either that or from a Bronco. I forget which. My buddy never wheeled his truck so I don't think he actually had a reason to swap them out other than that he had a Ford sitting in his yard. lmao

Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're still better off just getting a pair of 60s. Stronger, much bigger. Better selection of available gear ratios. And you don't have to spend ridiculous money on expensive heavy duty parts. Just get a 60. Do a good stockish rebuild and you're set for a good while.

The front 60 requires zero modification to swap in

Old 10-17-2013, 11:58 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
You're still better off just getting a pair of 60s. Stronger, much bigger. Better selection of available gear ratios. And you don't have to spend ridiculous money on expensive heavy duty parts. Just get a 60. Do a good stockish rebuild and you're set for a good while.

The front 60 requires zero modification to swap in
Yeah if I could only find one around here. There aren't too many axles for sale unless I would go to a junkyard. And junkyards around here aren't too reputable..

Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah if I could only find one around here. There aren't too many axles for sale unless I would go to a junkyard. And junkyards around here aren't too reputable..
just keep an eye on craigslist. THats what I did and dont be afraid to buy a parts truck if you see a good deal.

I paid 1000 for my 2500 parts truck, thats the going price for just axles, not too mention brakes, leaf springs(although you dont need those) wheels and useable tires but it was all the way in charlotte and cost me 500 to get it up here. Still though, t was worth it because i have all the misc parts that someone just buying axles would have to hunt down.

Dont be afraid to travel for a deal. its a 4 hour round trip from my place to charlotte so it apys to look around

Old 10-17-2013, 01:00 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How'd the Dana 44 cause you problems with the tires?
Tre's, ball-joints, hubs all took there toll on my tires over the years.

Do they make heavier duty front end parts to handle the bigger tires though?
Yes but why build a sub-standard diff, far better off putting a 60 under it. Invest your money wisely.

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Ford diff's yes and major work to install one. Chevy not a chance in hell for the front diff, pumpkin is on the wrong side.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Tre's, ball-joints, hubs all took there toll on my tires over the years.

Yes but why build a sub-standard diff, far better off putting a 60 under it. Invest your money wisely.

Ford diff's yes and major work to install one. Chevy not a chance in hell for the front diff, pumpkin is on the wrong side.
Gotcha. I couldn't remember, but I was thinking Ford. I dunno what all he did, I'm pretty sure he had a full axle at his disposal and just pulled whatever he needed off it.

Supposedly the 9.25 is just as strong as a D60 if you replace the carrier. At least according to that Pavementsucks article.

Quick Reply: 5" Lift Is On!