2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

installing cab clearance lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013 | 01:45 PM
cntry_prernnr
|
Professional
Default installing cab clearance lights

has any one installed cab clearance lights on a 1500 slt that didnt have them to begin with? im buying go recon smoked led's.

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...ts-Dodge-03-14

Old 10-22-2013 | 01:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Do you have a specific question or just want to know if anyone has them that didn't have them before?

Old 10-22-2013 | 02:16 PM
cntry_prernnr
|
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Do you have a specific question or just want to know if anyone has them that didn't have them before?

just wanted to know if any one has done the install and how they did it. basically what ever info i can get before i start installing

Old 10-22-2013 | 02:17 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

Search "cab lights" and you'll find several threads on how to do it. Easy enough to do, just takes time to get it right.

Old 10-22-2013 | 03:45 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

I installed factory cab loghts on my truck. They havent had any leaks yet and loom great. 2nd gens make it easy cause there are access holes already in the interior roof.

Old 10-22-2013 | 03:59 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

I plan on ordering the same thing sometime. I just don't want my headliner to sag after the work is done.

Old 10-22-2013 | 04:08 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

Headliner won't sag unless it's having issues already. The material is attached to a hardboard type material and is stiff enough to be removed and reinstalled with out coming apart. To be on the safe side, it's best to have 2 people when doing this.

Old 10-23-2013 | 12:17 PM
Ramman18
Champion

I installed cab lights last fall. Did not remove headliner, just lowered it a bit. I used the Pacer smoke lens kit and wired it up my own harness. I read too many bad reviews on Recon and they don't look like factory. Pacer has the same shape and lens as factory. Only problem I had was I ordered LED and they came with LED bulbs, not wired into the light assy. Turns out, this is better. If a bulb goes out, it can be replaced. If the assy died, would have to re-wire a whole new cab light. I also ditched the LED because they only shown straight ahead and were kind of yellow. They also sent me amber incandescent bulbs which I used and are brighter and actually orange. I tied it into the running lamps behind the light switch.

There are many write-ups on cab lights around the webz. Here's my favorite:
http://www.phildorsett.com/clearancelights.html

Old 10-23-2013 | 12:36 PM
FireDodge
Captain

I installed mine last spring-ish. Just lowered about half of the headliner and drilled away!

Old 10-24-2013 | 01:50 AM
cntry_prernnr
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I installed cab lights last fall. Did not remove headliner, just lowered it a bit. I used the Pacer smoke lens kit and wired it up my own harness. I read too many bad reviews on Recon and they don't look like factory. Pacer has the same shape and lens as factory. Only problem I had was I ordered LED and they came with LED bulbs, not wired into the light assy. Turns out, this is better. If a bulb goes out, it can be replaced. If the assy died, would have to re-wire a whole new cab light. I also ditched the LED because they only shown straight ahead and were kind of yellow. They also sent me amber incandescent bulbs which I used and are brighter and actually orange. I tied it into the running lamps behind the light switch.

There are many write-ups on cab lights around the webz. Here's my favorite:
http://www.phildorsett.com/clearancelights.html

thank you so much!

Quick Reply: installing cab clearance lights