2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1997 5.9 1500 Fuel line issue... Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013 | 04:46 PM
luvsspeed
|
Question 1997 5.9 1500 Fuel line issue... Help needed

I few yrs ago I noticed a small pin hole leak in the fuel feed line rite below the fuel regulator. I patched it with a lager piece of fuel hose from the auto parts store, some rtv sealant and some zip ties. I made a fuel line sandwich...lol. The patch lasted about 2yrs. It started leaking again and also a little more than the first time. I figured I would do the same thing again with more rtv and a piece of fuel line. I did the same thing I did the first time, only this time as I was pulling the zip tie I felt a pop, but didn't hear a pop. Nothing felt to come loose or break, also I didn't see and fuel leaking. I said let me wait until the next day so everything would dry solid and then check for leaks. Next day I go to start the truck it cranks, but doesn't start. It doesn't even try to start. I go look under the truck and there is about a half of gallon of gas on the ground. I go to the dodge dealer to find out about the fuel line. I've done the same thing about 2 yrs ago and had the part number, I just didn't want to have to remove the bed (I guess I have no choice now, its not that hard though). The part the dealer think it is #52127688-AB, but they are not 100% sure because of the lack of pictures in the diagram. I want to make sure that part #52127688-AB is the rite part number. Also I was talking to a tech at the same time trying to find the rite part and he said that I might have broken the nipple off of the fuel regulator. Nothing feels lose but I can't really see things clearly, that's one of the reasons why I need to remove the bed. What would be the chances of breaking a metal nipple, trying to pull tight a zip tie. I could understand if the nipple was plastic. The picture is showing the line I am having the issue with as well as the dealer diagram part #1. I'm open to any advise and help. Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 5.9 1500 Fuel line issue... Help needed-ihsbcto.jpg   1997 5.9 1500 Fuel line issue... Help needed-pe6npde.jpg  
Old 11-12-2013 | 08:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i don't know the answer, but you have 2 options to get access to the top of the tank. one is to disconnect the filler neck and straps and drop the tank. the other is to disconnect the filler neck and tail lights and lift the bed. opinions vary on which is easier.

if you raise the bed, you can reconnect the hoses and electrical connectors and actually run the truck and check for leaks. if you drop the tank, you cannot.

no experience on this, but someone posted a pic a long time ago where they jacked up the front of the bed (or the drivers side?) at an angle, and got access w/o removing the whole thing.

Old 11-12-2013 | 11:59 PM
luvsspeed
|

I've already decided to remove the bed as that would make it easier for me to work on things and to see. I'm just scratching my head with the issue. I guess I won't really know the problem until I have a clear view of things.

Old 11-13-2013 | 12:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to have a look, and see what broke. Once you know that, you can figger out what you need to do. I think most parts stores sell the quick-connect in the "Help" section. Might be able to just splice the line, and call it a day. Keep in mind, fuel system operates at right around 50PSI..... so just sliding some hose over the line, and clamping it isn't going to be sufficient. Compression fitting would actually work for you here...

Old 11-13-2013 | 12:59 PM
luvsspeed
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to have a look, and see what broke. Once you know that, you can figger out what you need to do. I think most parts stores sell the quick-connect in the "Help" section. Might be able to just splice the line, and call it a day. Keep in mind, fuel system operates at right around 50PSI..... so just sliding some hose over the line, and clamping it isn't going to be sufficient. Compression fitting would actually work for you here...

I will keep that in mind. I thought I saw a quick-connect in advance, so thanks for confirming that for me. I just need to find out which one.The only reason I did it that way before was all I could fit in that space was one arm and my head. It was that tight for me. Now that I see I have to take the bed off, I see that's what I just should have done to begin with. I have tons of free time on my hands anyway and its nice a cool now, so I can just take my time with it.

Old 11-14-2013 | 11:26 AM
snowboundrmk
All Star

When my connector broke i repaired the line. My fuel line is 5/16 so I bought the 5/16 one, but i found the connector was to small and my regulator had the 3/8 end. So I returned it and bought the 3/8 one. Since I had to adapt the new piece of repair line (3/8) to the rest of my fuel line (5/16) i had to make an adapter barb from pieces at the store.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=800060
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=800059

Last edited by snowboundrmk; 11-14-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2013 | 11:37 AM
Gary-L
Legend

This thread belongs in the Technical section and not the General Discussion section.

Old 11-14-2013 | 04:54 PM
luvsspeed
|

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
When my connector broke i repaired the line. My fuel line is 5/16 so I bought the 5/16 one, but i found the connector was to small and my regulator had the 3/8 end. So I returned it and bought the 3/8 one. Since I had to adapt the new piece of repair line (3/8) to the rest of my fuel line (5/16) i had to make an adapter barb from pieces at the store.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=800060
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=800059

Thanks for the info. I hope that's all I need, I will check tomorrow. I have the bed all unbolted, I just need to get a hand to lift it off.

Old 11-14-2013 | 04:55 PM
luvsspeed
|

Originally Posted by Gary-L
This thread belongs in the Technical section and not the General Discussion section.
I do apologize.

Old 11-14-2013 | 05:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

post lots of pics.

Quick Reply: 1997 5.9 1500 Fuel line issue... Help needed