2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Easiest 2 inch lift.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 PM
CApighunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest 2 inch lift.

I need to lift my 01 1500 4x4 another two inches front and rear. I already have a 2 inch leveling kit, and I can't seem to find a 2 inch body lift for an automatic tranny. I was thinking 2500 diesel springs front and add a leaf rear, but then what other suspension parts will I need for a total of 4 inches front and 2 inch rear? I am running 35s on the 2 inch level kit and i love the stance, but they rub too much. I dont want to hack up the body either. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

You would be better off just springing for a good, COMPLETE 5" kit. (I haven't seen many 4") It will come with all the parts you need, and will be designed to work as a system.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with a 5" Kit, I believe RC's kit is less than $800. My truck is 4.5+3 (Unfortunately). Its always best to do a suspension lift instead of a body lift and a 5" Sus. lift with 35s will look much better.

EDIT: Also make sure you're properly geared for those 35s.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it right or don't do it all

Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 AM
CApighunter

Gearing is definitely in the future, but as a high school senior only making a little better than minimum wage, funds are limited. I want to make sure my tires don't rub, or at least they won't rub as bad as they do now. I only need another 2 inches or so, and I want to keep it as low as possible while clearing the tires. Whether or not you like the idea of cummins springs, what other parts will I need? Of the top of my head I'm thinking: drop pitman arm, longer upper and lower control arms, and maybe longer shocks. The shocks I have aren't stock, KYB Gas-a-matics or something like that, so I'm not sure how long they will extend. I don't want to stack blocks in the rear, and I'm thinking a 2 inch add a leaf would be simple, easy, and inexpensive. I know it will ride stiffer, but it's a solid axle truck, not grandmas caddy.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM
dman12323
Veteran

You can hold off on gears for now, But you better make sure you drive like a grandma. Acceleration is gonna be worse than a fully loaded semi truck on a good day. Im also in your same predicament im a high school senior making minimum wage with god awful truck payments. What your gonna have to do is save and save up cash to do it right the first time.If you want a total of 4 inches of lift your going to have to change some stuff. Unless you go with the body lift. Do you have a 1500 or 2500? I just ordered a body lift for my truck 2inches and it is an automatic and came with the necessary parts. Those diesel coils will net you about 3inches in lift but you stated you want 4. I dont know about you but it would be easier and cheaper just to go with 5inches, here's a cheap kit I pieced together that im currently using on my truck:

http://www.topguncustomz.com/p-9437-...-ram-1500.aspx

http://www.topguncustomz.com/p-12501...arms-35-6.aspx

http://www.topguncustomz.com/p-3717-...-4-5-lift.aspx

http://www.topguncustomz.com/p-2946-...d-a-leafs.aspx

Also you will need a track bar bracket or track bar, Stock one was way to short:
http://www.ntwonline.com/Fabtech-Mot...l#.Uoj4OfnrwRc

For the pitman arm, I ordered a pitman arm from TGC and it looks exactly the same as my stock pitman arm. So when I put on my pitman arm I left the stock pitman arm in place. I have had zero problems and steering turns like its supposed to. But my truck is a little bit more weird from the standard 2nd gens. So I have a pitman arm that I will sell to you for $30 you pay shipping which is still in the box and everything if you want.

Or you can buy the kit for $851.00 shipped:
http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-su...it-371-20.html

I think they both cost about the same when shipped, Either way unless you get that body lift your going to have to pay. I haven't seen any kits for 4inches but that's not to say they are not out there. And im sure you will be able to get a small percentage of your money back selling that leveling kit.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ While the new pitman arm might look the same, it moves the tre from the top to the bottom of the pitman arm, and it will make a difference to the steering setup.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 PM
CApighunter

Looks like 2 more inches still won't clear, just gonna do a 3 inch body lift. I have sworn I would never get a body lift, but I'm out of affordable options. Ordering it tonight, hopefully installing next week. Should I get the rear bumper brackets to pick it up and leave my tow hitch hanging down, or is the bumper gap not a big deal?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM
dman12323
Veteran

Sure if you like this look (2inch body lift btw)

Unless you like that look go to home depot and make some of your own bumper brackets. Or head over to a fabrication shop and have them weld the bumper higher.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

I flipped the stock bumper brackets upside down and drilled new holes. Worked fine for my old 97.

Quick Reply: Easiest 2 inch lift.