2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Overheating Toyota problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013 | 02:32 PM
jpsycoboy5
|
Professional
Default Overheating Toyota problems

I know this is dodge forum but you all are so helpful I have an 84 Toyota pickup 5 speed with a 22r motor. The problem I have is its overheating no heat out of the vents coolant is top notch but the heater core on these is before the thermostat so would a stuck thermostat cause these problems? It has a new water pump that I put on 3 months ago I'm curious if it is flowing it went out amd I replaced it the shaft sheared. I just need some ideas here I bought a thermostat I'm about to go try and see if that's the problem I was just hoping someone could confirm its a thermostat issue and not water pump

Old 12-10-2013 | 06:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Air bubble, radiator clogged. Couple of things to check.

Old 12-11-2013 | 11:42 AM
jpsycoboy5
|
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Air bubble, radiator clogged. Couple of things to check.
I replaced the thermostat it now takes longer to overheat and I have heat coming out of the vents. I broke a bolt off in it tried heating drilling you name it ended up breaking an easy out in it so one side is hose clamped down how should I check for a clogged radiator?

Old 12-11-2013 | 11:11 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

so the engine is overheating, as measured by the temp gauge.
but the heater doesn't work.

i would fear a possible head gasket leak, putting pressure (from leaking compression) into the water jackets and interfering with coolant flow. start with a compression check. is it blowing coolant out the overflow tank?

whenever i get stumped on overheating, i try to temporarily run the engine w/o a t-stat. you won't have any heat, but if the engine still overheats then you have a major malfunction in the cooling system.

Old 12-12-2013 | 11:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if the pump isn't turning the correct direction. That would account for all of your symptoms.

Quick Reply: Overheating Toyota problems