2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Sick and tired of my buddy's f-150!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:21 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick and tired of my buddy's f-150!!

Okay so I'll try to be as mature as possible about this but I'm starting to get really pissed off with my buddy. My friend has a 99 f-150 with the 4.6 Triton and he has the worst case of "small man syndrome" I know of. Small lift with 35s. Normally im not too biased even though dodge is my fave but im not a ford fan at all. Especially the triton motors. Every chance he gets he tells me how he would spank my truck any day of the week in a race or pull. Normally I'm just like "Yeah yeah whatever makes you happy" but I've had enough. To me, why race 2 trucks on 35s? These trucks are built for pulling, not racing. If you want speed, buy a car.. He's constantly showing off in public and thn saying how mine couldn't do that etc. I'm not the kind of guy that will usually try to prove a point but I'm at the point where I just want to go grab a chain and tell him to put his money where his mouth his. Every chance he gets, especially in public he will push his truck to the limits to "prove a point." Last week he was behind me on the highway with a passenger and he decided it would be a great idea to blow by me and keep going. I just shrugged it off. Not worth my time. Now him and his passenger make fun of my truck saying how gutless it is and how the ford outperforms in every way. I tend to baby my truck while he is the opposite. My truck is rarely above 3000rpm while his is never under 3000rpm. I will say however that his truck does seem to do pretty good but like I said earlier, he pushes it to the limits.

I guess what I am asking is, do I give in to his gimmicks and go grab a chain to make him shut up once and for all or do I keep shrugging it off?

Last edited by Thornloe Pride; 01-19-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 AM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a chain, but a tow strap and yes. Remember to film.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did he regear? You have 4.56 you should wipe the floor with him.... Not that I recommend it

Don't baby your truck too much man. They are made to be driven. But don't abuse it either.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Did he regear? You have 4.56 you should wipe the floor with him.... Not that I recommend it

Don't baby your truck too much man. They are made to be driven. But don't abuse it either.
He never did but his truck is... Strange. According to the door panel, it has 3.55 and LSD rear but in 4WD, he's always got 4 wheels turnin making me wonder if there's an LSD or locker in front. He bought it when it was stock, not lfted. As for gearing, I'm not sure and either is he but it seems to go pretty good in OD for 35s. He has no rpm gauge though. I know mine was a dog with 35s and 3.55 so I'm not sure.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 AM
generaljr
Professional

why take the risk?...or why not? i did something similar with a friend, he has a 2002 qc 5.9 he insisted toooo much, we made a deal the (just talked) paycheck of one week, we raced like 1/4 of mile on a unpaved road, when i looked back he was too far, and didn't asked him to pay

Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to consider is just how much torque that little 4.6 Triton puts out compared to the 5.9... Sadly, I'm betting the 4.6 isn't too far behind....

Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4.6 is rated at 298 lb/ft at 3500

Old 01-19-2014, 10:48 AM
AppelH
Captain

I have known people like that. Personally, I would never have called them friends, they were too high on their own ego that I wouldn't put up with them for more than five minutes. I'm not a big fan of street racing, like you said they are trucks. Especially with big tires, they just don't handle well enough. And as for this "pull-off" that sounds like you want to do, there are a ton of factors that goes into who wins. suspension geometry, weight transfer, type of tires, all determine who wins the traction battle, and that's really what it comes down too in my opinion, in trucks that are somewhat similar in power.

I did it with a buddy who had a 98 Chevy with a 350, 35" mud tires. I had my 360, with shorter and pretty skinny tires. It was a tie, he had more traction, I had more power to spin them with 4.10s. Of course, i still maintain that he jumped the gun, And i was gaining on him once I got going. But, I digress.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you guys should break up and see different people. Insecurity levels are thru the roof

Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM
BBartow
Captain

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
I think you guys should break up and see different people. Insecurity levels are thru the roof
Lmao.

Quick Reply: Sick and tired of my buddy's f-150!!