2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Guy Here. 2001 Ram Off Road

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New Guy Here. 2001 Ram Off Road

Hey guys, I just picked up this 2001 Ram Off Road Edition a couple days ago. It's got 122k on the clock, 1 prior owner, and is overall pretty clean.

Facing off with the Silverado it replaced:

Overall I'm really happy with my purchase so far. I didn't think I was going to find an off road edition in this condition for the price I paid. I picked it up off a dealer that buys trade in vehicles from big dealerships and wholesales them. The truck wasn't even on his lot 24 hours, and I beat out another guy who had shown up to buy it be about 20 minutes.

Here is the to do list I've come up with so far:
Changed the oil/filter today(castrol gtx/puralator classic)
New air filter(just going to rock a spectre drop in filter)
Replace air cleaner assembly(cracked)
New plugs(champion coppers)
New wires(autolite professional)
New dizzy cap and rotor(bwd)
Service the front and rear differentials(I know the rear requires the modifier, the front does not correct?)
Get a quote from my body guy to fix the door bottom and rear quarter panel rust
New set of tires(prolly cooper discover at3s)
Alignment
Look into wheel re-finishing or replacement(finish is corroded and flaking)
Replace driver side headlight assembly(headlight pulled out at some point and the bulb section has say on the plastic and actually melted into the assembly so it must be replaced)
DDM tuning HIDs(ran them in other vehicles with very good results)
Have a keyless entry/remote start system installed(accepting recommendations)
Track down a few front end squeaks(prolly bushings)
After the body work is done, I'll pull it into the garage, wash/clay/polish the paint to get the swirls out and then lay down a nice wax or sealant)
Detail the interior
Do more research about tuners(superchips is preferred for these trucks I believe)

So I've got a good little list to get me started. I'll be bouncing around the different forums now I think.

Take it easy,
Skeptic

Attached Thumbnails New Guy Here. 2001 Ram Off Road-20140628_195749_zps4bd64c60.jpg   New Guy Here. 2001 Ram Off Road-00t0t_7l3wyrjnb4g_600x450_zps553c2aa5.jpg   New Guy Here. 2001 Ram Off Road-00j0j_4awsbzfva9i_600x450_zpsae198372.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice looking truck!

Looks like you will be doing a lot of good work to it! When replacing the air cleaner assembly, you might take a flashlight and look into the plenum through the throttle body. It's pretty common for the plenum gasket to go out on these trucks. It's not a bad repair and there are plenty of walk-throughs.

I've got a custom tuner from HemiFever for my truck. Lot of people here are very happy with his tunes.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Welcome to DF. Nice truck. Moved to the non tech section since this ia a non-tech thread.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to DF. Nice truck. Moved to the non tech section since this ia a non-tech thread.
O ok, my bad haha.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Nice looking truck!

Looks like you will be doing a lot of good work to it! When replacing the air cleaner assembly, you might take a flashlight and look into the plenum through the throttle body. It's pretty common for the plenum gasket to go out on these trucks. It's not a bad repair and there are plenty of walk-throughs.

I've got a custom tuner from HemiFever for my truck. Lot of people here are very happy with his tunes.
I'll look into that. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement airbox locally. I guess I'll have to buy one off ebay for 40 bucks haha.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:17 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Skeptic,
I just sent you a private message about an airbox.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice score! ORE's are the gems of the 2nd gen half tons IMO, 4.10 gears,2 1/2" lift, skid plates, tow hooks all great goodies that come the ORE.

Id def look intothe plenum, make sure its been replaced. If not, get er done!

Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope no friction modifier In the front. It's not a limited slip.

Nice find! If you ever drive a normal half ton with 3.55 gears you will really miss those 4.10 gears.

+100000 on puraltor classic. Made in murica awsomeness. 215k on mine. all that's ever been on it and its stil going strong as ever.

Now go take it OFF ROAD!

Last edited by Ham Bone; 07-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Nope no friction modifier In the front. It's not a limited slip.

Nice find! If you ever drive a normal half ton with 3.55 gears you will really miss those 4.10 gears.

+100000 on puraltor classic. Made in murica awsomeness. 215k on mine. all that's ever been on it and its stil going strong as ever.

Now go take it OFF ROAD!
I assumed that was correct. Thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah I test drove a 2wd a couple days earlier and I prefer the 4.10s for sure.

Just an update for today I suppose.

Swapped in the Spectre filter
Changed the plugs(it had bosch platinum plus plugs in it. I'm not sure how to read those...they were white but I think they come that way.)
Unfortunately I have jacked up threads on one cylinder(praying for just damaged plug threads) so I'll have to do the thread repair this weekend with the old man. The truck now has 7 copper champions in it and 1 bosch platinum haha. It's running on 8 though so it's good for a few days.
Also swapped in the autolite professional wires and the puralator pcv valve.

Played with the headlight a bit. The way these mount the bulb(press directly in with force until sealed) must have confused someone previously because the bulb wasn't all the way in when I got the truck. It had backed out a little and rested on the housing which then melted it. The melted plastic ran out onto the sealing surface where the bulb seals to the assembly so I took out my drill and basically dremeled that bit out. I got a new bulb to seal in there but it's not perfect and for some reason the headlight is still not nearly as bright as the other side.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful truck man!! I envy my southern friends in the US. You guys and your rust free bodies (this is pretty dang close!!)

Quick Reply: New Guy Here. 2001 Ram Off Road