2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

97 2500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Okiefromwatonga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 2500 Questions

So I Just purchased a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 CCLB 4x4 with the 8.0L V10 and a Auto in it and 85k on the clock. I have a few questions.
1) What are some things I should look for with the V10?
2) I'm already planning on adjusting the steering box and installing a steering box brace http://www.ebay.com/itm/231118621589 anything else I should look for in the front end?
3) What shocks would you reccomend for the front? I'm leaning in the direction of the Skyjacker Hydro 7000's.
4) Its got an exhaust leak @ the drivers manifold and if its not just a case of it being loose, are the headers I see on web sites really worth the money on these engines or are they just for prettying up the engine, I understand the heads and intake don't flow very well.
5) Its already had the cats cut off, and its got a generic can muffler on it now, what mufflers have been proven to last behind the V10?
6) The Previous owner had fragged the the NP241LD in it and the shop I bought it from (Longish story, but thats a totally different post) converted it to a NP241HD, are the front drive shafts the same between the 241LD and HD?

EDIT: Also, I have 5 gallons (undiluted) of Shell's Rotella ELC coolant from a old Ford PSD I had anyone see a problem with using this in my V10?

Last edited by Okiefromwatonga; 08-09-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Some of the 8.0s had oil pump issues. Just keep an eye on the pressure gauge. Aside from that, they are pretty reliable.

Some folks don't care for that style of steering brace, as when the frame twists (while off-roading, for instance) it puts side loads on the sector shaft. (tends to eat seals.) Dodge Off-Road has a better design brace, but, it is significantly more than 75 bucks.... Others have ran those style braces without issue. Guess it just depends on what you do with your truck.

Bilstein 5100's.

Link to headers?

Mufflers are all pretty much the same. Just depends on what they are made of. Want it to last forever? Get a stainless steel muffler. (be sitting down when you look at the price though.)

Shafts *should* be the same. Although, WHY there was an LD 241 behind a V-10 is beyond me.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome!

I love my V10 and have no regrets since buying it.

1. The V10's are very durable motors especially when maintained properly. They do have an issue with ping especially when hot out. Get a 180 stat and a tuner if you have funds. I have the SCT from Hemifever and it's the 2nd best mod I've done. Some of the V10's have had issues with the oil pump as HeyYou mentioned. They pump is kind of odd in that it's a rotor that goes around the front of the crank under the timing cover. the screws on the cover plate for the rotors sometimes back out allowing the oil to flow out. Keep an eye on your pressure and if you ever pull the cover; check the screws.

2. I replaced my box with the Redhead unit and have a similar brace on my truck. I don't do any heavy offroading anymore so I haven't had any problems with it. Keep an eye on the track bar, but the front ends are easy to service.

3. If you're not lifting or offroading it, Monroe magnums are a good option. I have them at all 4 corners and I'm happy with the ride.

4 & 5. Stay away from the cheap ebay headers. You'll get exactly what you pay for. Crappy welds and poor quality. Get either JBA or Gibson. There's someone selling JBA's on ebay for very short money. I picked up a set and they were genuine JBA. Good headers will help the V10 breathe and you'll pick up some hp and tq along the way.

Mufflers? There's some videos on youtube of various muffler setups on V10's so you should be able to find a sound you like. Just be sure to get the stainless style.

6. Agree with HeyYou again. No idea why there was a LD on there. It should have been an HDH.

Quick Reply: 97 2500 Questions