2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

hows evreyone anyone still here

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
You're lame.
Thank you.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car payments + full coverage = bad finances. Too broke to scrounge up $2,500 for a transmission repair but can go into debt for a spendy vehicle??

I prefer financial security over living in the moment. I know, it's stupid but that's how I am.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Car payments + full coverage = bad finances. Too broke to scrounge up $2,500 for a transmission repair but can go into debt for a spendy vehicle??

I prefer financial security over living in the moment. I know, it's stupid but that's how I am.
So why did you buy a new truck?

Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st car payment makes for good credit to buy a better house down the lines its a win win to keep a gutless old dodge going when u can buy one with a warrenty

Old 11-09-2014, 09:41 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This statement is not directed to anyone in this thread BTW.

There are many people who buy new cars knowing full well what they are getting into. If there's something that makes a sparkle in your eye and you have the money...go for it!

However, what a large number of new car buyers don't get is that the use will NEVER out pace the return. Cars are not an investment. I think the "rebuild your credit" slang is a sham created by the people who are doing the lending and/or personal permission for people to justify engaging in immature financial behavior. I admit it. I look for justification myself, but I've been burned enough to know better.

I would rather drive a $5,000 car and maybe drop a 1,000 or so bucks a year making repairs or mods than to take a 50% hit on my "investment" over 5 years while making payments. If you bought a shoe box full of gold bars, put it in your safe, then came back 5 years later and all the bars had turned to silver, you would be pretty pissed.

You don't want to be one of "those" people who can't shuffle together a couple hundred bucks to fix an out of warranty brake job or whatever because you've rolled over 3 loans and your car payment is $1,000.

At the end of the day, it's just a machine.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

If you are going to buy a new car about the only thing worth buying is a Subaru. Those things hold their value like crazy. The big three are a joke with depreciation. Lol.

But this dude above me is right. The gold analogy made me chuckle.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Never buy new unless you plan of keeping it forever and driving it into the ground.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I use to say (back in the 80's & 90's) that if you bought new, trade it every couple of years and live on the never never... or buy something pre '74 and rebuild it every 10 yrs, as that will be cheaper in the long run.
Modern cars aren't built to last... built from plastic, etc, etc...

Well, based on that I shouldn't have bought my '98 RAM (and I wouldn't have, had I not got it so cheap)... the RAM that is now over 16yrs old, and is only now needing some of that repair attention, but certainly not a full rebuild.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by Spillage
I use to say (back in the 80's & 90's) that if you bought new, trade it every couple of years and live on the never never... or buy something pre '74 and rebuild it every 10 yrs, as that will be cheaper in the long run.
Modern cars aren't built to last... built from plastic, etc, etc...

Well, based on that I shouldn't have bought my '98 RAM (and I wouldn't have, had I not got it so cheap)... the RAM that is now over 16yrs old, and is only now needing some of that repair attention, but certainly not a full rebuild.
You cant make this statement yet. Wait another 20 years. Cars these days are made with the highest tolerances and standards the industry has ever known.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:45 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the money I was putting in gas and in repairs in less than my car payment a month and when its paid off, ill have something of value. first car I bought new, so nice to have something from 0 miles and know hows it maintained. the 4 speed to the 6 and 8 speed makes a tremendous difference in power and milage and is so nice dodge came a loooong way in there products

Quick Reply: hows evreyone anyone still here