2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tuning with a laptop opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:50 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tuning with a laptop opinions...

So I went on the hunt to find an OBD II tuning program for a laptop. HOLY CRAP is there a lot of BS out there.

After a few days of looking through stuff I tripped over this: http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/toad/ . I would like to hear your opinions on it. It almost sounds to good to be true, but I'm almost willing to take a chance on it.

It looks like you could do all of your own tuning with it, which would save a lot of cash if you're trying to get a custom tune dialed in, or even just adding some pep to the work horse.

Any ways, let's hear what you think about it.

(Edit: trying to make link active)

Last edited by frankie_b_jr; 02-02-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Well, that certainly looks interesting...... I have seen software packages for a bit more money, that promised the same things, but, for tuning, they were tied to just ONE vehicle. (vin locked)

One thing I have NOT been able to determine though, is if additional hardware is required to be able to actually tune your own PCM, it says it has that capability, but, I see it mentioned (very briefly) about 'additional hardware'........

Now, if nothing else is required, aside from the software, and their cable, and it will actually do everything it says, then yeah, that is a VERY good deal. But, before I spent the money, I would want to chat with someone, and verify the hardware question.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

I bought the software about a year ago but haven't had my Jeep running to use it yet. So I can't tell you if it works worth a darn or not. I guess I could install it and hook it up to my truck and see what I can do with my diesel.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:27 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
I bought the software about a year ago but haven't had my Jeep running to use it yet. So I can't tell you if it works worth a darn or not. I guess I could install it and hook it up to my truck and see what I can do with my diesel.
That would be great if you're willing. Looking forward to more input.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

I need to see if it is locked to one vin or if you can use it on more than one rig. I bought it for my Jeep with a 5.9 in it so if I can only use it on one rig I'll have to wait. But if I can use it on more than one rig then I'll try it out.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Did you have to buy a special interface cable for the program, or is it a universal fit? I can't remember if OBD II pin outs are the same across the board.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

OBD2 is the same on all US made. I can't say for sure on other makes.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Thank you for the reply. That's what I thought, but I didn't trust my expert opinion from myself :-D

Old 02-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Frankie,
After reading back thru what it can do and then looking at the vehicles it will work on I would say don't waste your money. The only thing it might do is allow you to set the fuel sync but until I have my Jeep running I won't know. It is a good code reader and diagnostic tool but you are not going to be able to tune a Dodge PCM with this software.
If it was this easy people would be talking about it on all the forums.

If you're really interested in trying it out take a little off the price and I'll sell you mine.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:14 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Figured it was too good. I appreciate you time on this. I'll pm you about pricing.

Quick Reply: Tuning with a laptop opinions...