2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Headlight switch gets really hot!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
The switch supplies a ground for only the fog lights, All the rest is positive. The ground is to turn on the fog lamp relay. At least that's the way it is on a 96.
Well I'll be damned. You are correct..... I am real curious where I got the impression that it was different..... Maybe I shifted in from a different universe....

Old 11-02-2015, 03:40 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is that all of the power for your headlights goes through the switch. If you have increased the wattage on your headlights, it only makes it worse. On the other hand, if you are running LED's, you are probably okay. I just did and I strongly recommend doing the headlight relay upgrade/mod as shown below in the link. (the stock wiring is only 16ga anyways)

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Old 11-02-2015, 03:44 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

And not to plug this guy but he does great work (even solders the connection if you order it that way) and can make the wires custom length. At least go with the 14ga, if not the 12ga.

http://headlightplugs.com/4.7.ht.html

Old 11-02-2015, 03:46 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Here is where the write-up is...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-write-up.html

And we probably should move this to the "tech" section...

Old 11-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

What i have found(after3 switch replacements 4 if you count the last one) is that the power coming in to the switch is the first part that heats up. The second is the running lights out. Last the headlights out. I have more running lights than the standard 1500 so there is more draw on that part of the switch(2500). Main problem is the connectors used aren't made well enough to handle the amperage running threw them over long periods of time. The second is one of the terminal rivets on the switch shows signs of heat. One of the switches i took out it was actually loose. Running led lights and a relay for the headlights is the way to go. Need to drop the amps running threw the weak parts of the switch is the answer.

Quick Reply: Headlight switch gets really hot!!!!