2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Questions about rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:40 AM
groenberg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about rims

So right now, i've got 37x13,5'' tires on my truck and the rims are only 8'' so it looks awful and I can't turn left or right fully since the tire makes contact with something..

So i want to get atleast 10'' wide rims, but preferably 12''. BUT i can't find 12'' rims anywhere. Yes i know i can widen them myself but i'd rather not.

Anyone know any good site, even if it's only 10''?

Not looking for anything flashy/expensive, but aluminium would be nice.

Also, what backspacing do you think i'll need? I want to get the tires out as much as possible since i want to be able to steer, the turning radius is already minimal on Dodge..

Any help is appreciated!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Most any tire store should be able to get you 10" wide rims. I think 12" would be problematic given the dodge front suspension system. (if they don't have them in stock, they should be able to at least order them.)

With tires that large, I think you are going to have rubbing problems no matter what you do. You can go with less backspacing, (4, or 3.5 inch) but, I think all that will do is change where your tires hit.

How much lift do you have on your truck?

Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 AM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Most any tire store should be able to get you 10" wide rims. I think 12" would be problematic given the dodge front suspension system. (if they don't have them in stock, they should be able to at least order them.)

With tires that large, I think you are going to have rubbing problems no matter what you do. You can go with less backspacing, (4, or 3.5 inch) but, I think all that will do is change where your tires hit.

How much lift do you have on your truck?
The truck has a 3" suspension lift, 3" body lift and add a leaf.

Alright, but i'm thinking it can't get any worse with wider rims then the tires comes out from the wheel house a bit.

Guess i'll have to weld an extension on the "stopper" that stops the tires from turning, so i can't turn as much.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hitting the control arms? I think there are 'custom' control arms available that are 'stepped' or bent, so as to provide more clearance for the tires when turning.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM
groenberg
Rookie

Hitting the control arms? I think there are 'custom' control arms available that are 'stepped' or bent, so as to provide more clearance for the tires when turning.
Yeah, the control arms. I think saw those bent arms somewhere but if my memory is with me, they were really expensive Plus freight and importcharges the price has doubled.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, I think they average around 400 american...... You could always talk to a local machine ship, and them make some up for you. Would probably be quite a bit cheaper.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:39 PM
groenberg
Rookie

Yeah, I think they average around 400 american...... You could always talk to a local machine ship, and them make some up for you. Would probably be quite a bit cheaper.
Yeah that's an option. Have emailed a bunch of wheel sellers in Sweden since not a single one has Dodge ram rims. And if they do, it's for -03 and newer.. Don't think i will be finding any so i guess i'll have to make another order from the US.

Know any good/affordable sites or should i just order from ebay?

Old 11-03-2015, 04:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Bolt pattern *might* be the same on the 3/4 ton trucks..... I think the hub diameter is different though.....

Aside from that, ebay is probably your best bet.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:36 PM
groenberg
Rookie

Bolt pattern *might* be the same on the 3/4 ton trucks..... I think the hub diameter is different though.....

Aside from that, ebay is probably your best bet.
The rims that is on my truck now is from a Chevy k20. The hub diameter was about 1-1,5 mm too small for my Dodge so i had to grind the holes so they could fit..

Wondering what offset i'll be needing. Don't want to order new rims and discover that the tires moved even further in to the wheel housing. Do not know the offset on the wheels that is on now.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Bolt circle is 6.5 but the chebys used a smaller stud as you found out. Here is a link that may help you figure out your backspacing/offset.

http://www.crawlpedia.com/bolt_patterns.htm

Quick Reply: Questions about rims