2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:07 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was headed to the gas station at the end of my shift, came across a disabled vehicle, Blue Dodge Challenger, 392 Hemi, it broke down and wouldn't start.

Dude was pissed, said he's got about 2000 miles on it and rarely drives it...

Tsk tsk tsk....

Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Was headed to the gas station at the end of my shift, came across a disabled vehicle, Blue Dodge Challenger, 392 Hemi, it broke down and wouldn't start.

Dude was pissed, said he's got about 2000 miles on it and rarely drives it...

Tsk tsk tsk....
It's grump cuz he doesn't take it out enough. She wants to growl but he's treating it like a kitten.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:30 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
It's grump cuz he doesn't take it out enough. She wants to growl but he's treating it like a kitten.
I wondered about the fuel if he rarely drives it.

Motor is impressive even when it won't start...lol

Old 02-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Gary-L
Legend

I've been dealing with replacing the brake and ALL of the suspension components on my Mazda 3. I am seriously considering setting it on fire after the next 50,000 miles rather than working on it again. Talk about a complete PITA. The so-called FSM that can be found on some Mazda forums is fairly worthless. During some of my searches for how to remove or replace certain parts, I found this little gem: Front Tie Rods Replacement Guide

Scroll to the end of the OP's post for the good part.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:20 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Who gave that guy a toolbox?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:25 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

I was just out in the garage putting my air filter back on after cleaning and oiling it, and my wife said to me, "You know, maybe we ought to just go ahead and get that cam now".

Old 02-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

I've been dealing with replacing the brake and ALL of the suspension components on my Mazda 3. I am seriously considering setting it on fire after the next 50,000 miles rather than working on it again. Talk about a complete PITA. The so-called FSM that can be found on some Mazda forums is fairly worthless. During some of my searches for how to remove or replace certain parts, I found this little gem: Front Tie Rods Replacement Guide

That's a funny looking tie rod removal tool.....

Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Who gave that guy a toolbox?
It's a toss-up between forums and YouTube videos as to which is worse, with the forums coming out on top. I've managed to find some great YouTube videos by people who are professional mechanics; however, there are those clowns who try to record what they're doing with one hand and work with the other. Yeah, I really need some shaky cam footage there, ace.

Some YouTube classics: Using a framing hammer to perform mechanical work; using a torque wrench to loosen fasteners (the comments calling him out were classic); and, (my favorite), some kid, in his early 20s, who dismantled the dash of his 3rd Gen to show how to replace the heater core. A+ for effort, but an F for presentation because he referred to every fastener as "screws". He would point to nuts and say, "Remove these screws"; point to bolts and say, "Remove these screws" and finally point to actual screws and say, "Remove these screws".

Pro-Tip: If you're going to present a How-To, consider your audience and present a complete list of tools that will be used for the job. And no, a Crescent wrench is not a suitable tool for any job.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
That's a funny looking tie rod removal tool.....
Proper tools are great to use. I have one that looks like this:

It's marketed as a tie-rod end remover and Pitman arm puller. I'd rather get the proper tie-rod tool.

Last edited by Gary-L; 02-07-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

And no, a Crescent wrench is not a suitable tool for any job.
TRUTH FOR THE WIN!

Old 02-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

It's a toss-up between forums and YouTube videos as to which is worse, with the forums coming out on top. I've managed to find some great YouTube videos by people who are professional mechanics; however, there are those clowns who try to record what they're doing with one hand and work with the other. Yeah, I really need some shaky cam footage there, ace.

Some YouTube classics: Using a framing hammer to perform mechanical work; using a torque wrench to loosen fasteners (the comments calling him out were classic); and, (my favorite), some kid, in his early 20s, who dismantled the dash of his 3rd Gen to show how to replace the heater core. A+ for effort, but an F for presentation because he referred to every fastener as "screws". He would point to nuts and say, "Remove these screws"; point to bolts and say, "Remove these screws" and finally point to actual screws and say, "Remove these screws".

Pro-Tip: If you're going to present a How-To, consider your audience and present a complete list of tools that will be used for the job. And no, a Crescent wrench is not a suitable tool for any job.

Proper tools are great to use. I have one that looks like this:

It's marketed as a tie-rod end remover and Pitman arm puller. I'd rather get the proper tie-rod tool.

In the pic it looked like a ball joint press to me.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread