2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
Yes it does... and don't forget the mosquito's.
Dammit, man, I've been trying to forget Florida mosquitoes for just about 32 years now and you're making me start all over again.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in southwest VA. Where it can be 10 degrees like it was yesterday, 55 and sunny two day layers followed immediately by two feet of snow.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 AM
bargeman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Bite me.

It was a whopping 7 degrees here yesterday, -8 with the wind chill. I hate winter. Being the smart guy that I am, you would think I would have the sense to move to a warmer climate, right? Well, maybe I am not so smart after all.
Yeah Spilage you can bite me too. Lol! Cuz what ever Hey You is getting, Im getting it several hours later. Just wait till summer and then the tables will be turned. (insert diabolical laugh here)

Last edited by bargeman; 01-20-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I live in southwest VA. Where it can be 10 degrees like it was yesterday, 55 and sunny two day layers followed immediately by two feet of snow.
I'm with ya HamBone, Kentucky is the same way right now. I literally live 100 yards from the Ohio River, makes it feel colder being so close to it.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Gary-L
Legend

It's supposed to be sunny and 61º here, on Sunday.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:29 PM
tired old man
Veteran

Yes, it has been especially cool outside here lately too. We have had several days where the high was still only a single digit. The other night it got below zero outside so naturally my furnace fan decided it was time to fail.

I dug out the electric space heaters and put a big pan of water on to boil while I attacked the furnace. Did I mention that it was after 10:00pm and Saturday night?

By the time figured out it was just the blower motor it was down to 55 degrees in here, my wife took off to the kids house where it was warmer.

So with no chance of buying a new motor 'right now' I tore the 'dead' one apart. I got the squirrel cage apart ok then knocked the motor apart to get the bushings loose on the shaft. I discovered a piece of zip cord that ran between the coils in the motor that had evidently gotten hot enough often enough that the insulation had turned to dust.

I replaced that with much newer heavy duty zip cord and re assembled the motor. It ran at a much higher speed than it has in years and does the job. It just buzzes, squeaks and squeals a lot. I got through the first night.

I called all the plumbing and heating guys around, none of them had a direct drive single speed 1/3hp 115V furnace fan motor in stock, the best offer I got was to have one in three days.

So I checked online same deal, some decent prices but,... still several days for delivery. I did order one from a seller on eBay but it probably won't be here until sometime next month.

My next step was to call everyone I know to see if maybe they had one. My younger brother found me one.

I do not have it apart yet, I have the shaft soaking in WD-40 and hope to get it apart today. The original is still 'working' albeit noisily. The motor must have been dragging for years now. This is the first time in many years that the thermometer matches what the thermostat is set at this closely.

Last edited by tired old man; 01-20-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bargeman
Yeah Spilage you can bite me too. Lol! Cuz what ever Hey You is getting, Im getting it several hours later. Just wait till summer and then the tables will be turned. (insert diabolical laugh here)
I spent enough years in Michigan to appreciate the commentary... I've also spent many more years in the heat (both dry and humid) to know which I prefer to deal with.
Keep warm folks.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:08 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now it's the waiting game, snow should start here around 1pm, in the neighborhood of 18"-24", my normal days off are Friday and Saturday and since this is a weekend storm there's less traffic in the Express Lanes so they didn't start an EAP, so I get to be at home snowed in for this storm!

Although they are doing 12hr shifts through Sunday so I would have liked the OT....

Oh well

Old 01-22-2016, 07:27 AM
bargeman
Professional

I think this storm is gonna pass just south of me. Been lucky so far, havent had to plow my rentals driveway this season.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:05 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Been snowing since 4 am. Got bout 6-7 inches so far. Still coming down heavy. Supposed to snow into staurday ****ht.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread