2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking for a pickup.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:46 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Both Hemifever, and Flyin' Ryan offer tuners for the 96- and up dodge trucks. We know it works.
I know SCT claims it works and Hemifever has done em, but Ryan has been iffy about it from what I've seen. I've seen early 96s not take it though too. Personally I would just get a later 96 build date truck vs 95 build year 96 model year just to stay away from the issue.

Also, rear doors only open on 98+ but the 96-97 have the old interior style you like and are tunable.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:02 AM
SunDevilJeeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dapepper9
4.10s and 33s is a great combo for towing. Throttle body avoid the Hughes BigGulp, bore below the blades is stock so it's basically a ported stocker that he claims flows more than an F&B 53x55mm oval which is equivalent to dual 56mm bores. My recommendation there is the ebay bored 52mm, BBK 52mm, or Fastman tb. Any cam you get you won't really be able to take advantage of without tuning via SCT.
In that case, maybe keeping at 33s is a better idea. 33x10.50 is what I'm considering. Treadwright has basically that size for the stock 16" wheels, I think they have it for the 17s as well. As far as the load range, I haven't looked yet.

Something was telling me that the Hughes manifold might be some snake oil crap. I guess that's true. I know a lot of guys do the kegger mod with Mustang injectors, a lot of Grand Cherokee guys see good results with that on the 5.2 and 5.9.

I know SCT claims it works and Hemifever has done em, but Ryan has been iffy about it from what I've seen. I've seen early 96s not take it though too. Personally I would just get a later 96 build date truck vs 95 build year 96 model year just to stay away from the issue.

Also, rear doors only open on 98+ but the 96-97 have the old interior style you like and are tunable.
Yeah, plus, all the 96 and below models I've seen, which are apparently rare, are in horrible condition anyway. I'm not looking for another project. I don't have much issue going with 98+ models, but if I can find a 97, I'd be happy.

It's one of those things where I'll go for a 97 that's as close to what I want, but if there's a 98-01 that's exactly what I want, I'll go for the newer one and just get used to looking at the dash. Ultimately things like tow package, 4WD, and not being trashed are more important.

That door issue is starting to make me wonder how much less of a pain in the *** a 98+ would be though. The lady has a kid, which is why I'll be swapping for rubber flooring like I had in the Ram I had before. So that four door thing might be real handy.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:08 AM
SunDevilJeeper

And if this forum is anything like jeepforum, somebody will demand pics of something. So here's a pic of my old truck I've been talking about.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a pickup.-10329069_10152590241956079_1564940797446500407_n.jpg  
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
In that case, maybe keeping at 33s is a better idea. 33x10.50 is what I'm considering. Treadwright has basically that size for the stock 16" wheels, I think they have it for the 17s as well. As far as the load range, I haven't looked yet.

Something was telling me that the Hughes manifold might be some snake oil crap. I guess that's true. I know a lot of guys do the kegger mod with Mustang injectors, a lot of Grand Cherokee guys see good results with that on the 5.2 and 5.9.

Yeah, plus, all the 96 and below models I've seen, which are apparently rare, are in horrible condition anyway. I'm not looking for another project. I don't have much issue going with 98+ models, but if I can find a 97, I'd be happy.

It's one of those things where I'll go for a 97 that's as close to what I want, but if there's a 98-01 that's exactly what I want, I'll go for the newer one and just get used to looking at the dash. Ultimately things like tow package, 4WD, and not being trashed are more important.

That door issue is starting to make me wonder how much less of a pain in the *** a 98+ would be though. The lady has a kid, which is why I'll be swapping for rubber flooring like I had in the Ram I had before. So that four door thing might be real handy.
Hughes manifold is better than the kegger unless you're looking for low end tq. Hp wise it's not perfect but nothing is. My PERSONAL opinion is that it's overpriced for being readily available compared to an m1 which performs better and isn't produced anymore.
Injectors: just dont. Without a tune you're just going to give yourself more of a headache and FlyinRyan will tell you himself, the stock ones are good for just about anything short of boost or stroker. If anything just get a flow matched set of stockers. And the 4 hole thing is bs these trucks were designed with the single holes

Old 01-07-2016, 01:21 AM
SunDevilJeeper

Hughes manifold is better than the kegger unless you're looking for low end tq. Hp wise it's not perfect but nothing is. My PERSONAL opinion is that it's overpriced for being readily available compared to an m1 which performs better and isn't produced anymore.
Injectors: just dont. Without a tune you're just going to give yourself more of a headache and FlyinRyan will tell you himself, the stock ones are good for just about anything short of boost or stroker. If anything just get a flow matched set of stockers. And the 4 hole thing is bs these trucks were designed with the single holes
Low end torque is what I'm shooting for. I'm seeing the word tune thrown around a lot in here, I'm starting to get a better idea of what I should and shouldn't do with the engine.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 AM
bargeman
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
What year? It may have just been the late 01-02 or an option.
Its a 2000

Old 01-07-2016, 08:15 AM
bargeman
Professional

Enjoying this entire thread. Lots of info. a couple of questions... what do you mean by " flow match set of stockers" and " the four hole thing"? Is the first a set of headers and the second an intake?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:39 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure he's talking about Injectors.

Flow matched injector are, just that, matched so they all flow the same amount of fuel. So the engine burns more even and stuff.

Four hole injector are some Ford injectors that some people like to put on in the hopes that the four holes squirt allows more even atomization of the fuel to help with ignition.

However, these engines use a pencial stream injector. So like one big shot on the back of the valve and then the fuel evaporates.

There's no solid evidence I've seen that four holes really do anything beneficial for these old school wedge style heads.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I too would like to see some documented dyno/driving results to back up the claim on the 4 hole injectors. Have heard from a few people running them with no noticeable difference. ???

Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 PM
bargeman
Professional

Thanks Ham Bone for clearing that up. Heres another one since we are on low end grunt. If you were to install 1.7 RR Am I right in thinking that keeping the stock injectors you would not be getting more gas in the cylinder(valve staying open longer) but more oxygen with the same amount of gas for that cylinder? So your actually increasing the air to fuel ratio? Clear as mud?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a pickup.