2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking for a pickup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:45 PM
SunDevilJeeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a pickup.

Long story short, I don't need two Jeeps, so I'm getting back into the seat of a Ram.

I'm now on the hunt for:

Pre 1998
Auto
4WD
Extended cab
6.5' bed

I'm already well aware of the problems with the Magnum engines, relatively easy fixes if you ask me. The automatic transmissions weren't the greatest in the 90s according to popular opinion. I've heard that the electronics can be a pain in the *** at times as well. From what I hear, some years have a really weak steering setup, something about the power steering being weak as well. But that's about the extent of my knowledge of 2nd gen Rams.

So when I go on the hunt for a Ram, what should I avoid like the plague?

Any mods I would do, would be a small lift and 35s at the biggest.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Sonnax Sure Cure and converting to a GM solenoid are common transmission mods. The track bar wears out quickly. I believe there are better aftermarket bars or one from a newer model can be swapped in, but I don't remember the year they changed. Maybe look in the tech DIY section.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:34 AM
SunDevilJeeper

Duly noted, I've been reading some posts here and there, using the search function, but I figured asking anyway might bring about a couple answers to questions I don't even have yet.

The Sonnax kit isn't one I've seen yet.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why pre 98?

Old 01-02-2016, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Why pre 98?
Yeah, that's my question too.

There are kits out there in the world to change to the third-gen style track bar. (bushing on both ends) Really not a bad idea, just, not cheap.

Steering can be upgraded, with stock, off the shelf parts. There are couple threads here about HD steering upgrade.

I would actually recommend looking for a 2000-01 Off-Road edition. Comes with 4.10 gears, and tow hooks already.

Trans can take a couple upgrades, that can make them pretty reliable. The GM conversion is one option, or the Borg Warner heavy duty governor solenoid is another. (and cheaper than the conversion.) Going with a better torque converter is a good plan as well. (of course, that involves having the trans out.....)

If you want to go with 35's, I would be tempted to look for a 2500..... they have at least D60's at both ends. No ORE 2500's though.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, that's my question too.

There are kits out there in the world to change to the third-gen style track bar. (bushing on both ends) Really not a bad idea, just, not cheap.

Steering can be upgraded, with stock, off the shelf parts. There are couple threads here about HD steering upgrade.

I would actually recommend looking for a 2000-01 Off-Road edition. Comes with 4.10 gears, and tow hooks already.

Trans can take a couple upgrades, that can make them pretty reliable. The GM conversion is one option, or the Borg Warner heavy duty governor solenoid is another. (and cheaper than the conversion.) Going with a better torque converter is a good plan as well. (of course, that involves having the trans out.....)

If you want to go with 35's, I would be tempted to look for a 2500..... they have at least D60's at both ends. No ORE 2500's though.

But A LOT of V8 2500s came with 4.10s to help out with towing.

And a manual nv4500 with the 360 magnum if your so inclined to drive stick.

Also, late model 00-02 2500s should have rear disc brakes. Plus the gigantic dual piston front brakes.

Basically 2500s are just better overall

Old 01-02-2016, 12:43 PM
bargeman
Professional

Loving my 2500.... All though it did not come with rear disc breaks.....

Old 01-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I would be tempted to look for a 2500
Basically 2500s are just better overall
How many posts do you see about upgrading something to a 2500? That alone should sway your decision. I have one with 280K and the original trac bar and transmission. And get this, The rear brakes have not been touched since i go it with 60K! If you get one with the tow package it will have a trans cooler(auto). I would definitely look for 2500!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by bargeman
Loving my 2500.... All though it did not come with rear disc breaks.....
What year? It may have just been the late 01-02 or an option.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:20 PM
SunDevilJeeper

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Why pre 98?
Simply because of the dash, I'm not fond of the 98-01 dash. I like the older style dashboard a lot more, plus that little pocket on the passenger side is convenient to have. It's a little more similar to the dash I had in my 2014 5500.

However, I'm looking to see if there's issues with pre 98 models that I don't feel like dealing with. A simple dash setup isn't enough to convince me 100%, I've learned my lesson with Jeeps. Function over form. I'll deal with a dash that reminds me of a damn turtle shell if it means less mechanical headaches.

Quick Reply: Looking for a pickup.