2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking for a pickup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 05:06 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Depending on the age/condition of your current injectors, it may still be a worthwhile upgrade. Consider how long yours have been in there..... just doing to a set of balanced/cleaned stockers could make a difference in how your engine runs. (and probably will..... )
+1 to this

Old 05-12-2016, 12:59 AM
SunDevilJeeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I bought a truck finally. It isn't exactly to the tee what I wanted, but it's pretty much that... what I wanted.

I found this pile of **** on Craigslist for $2300, and I've been in love with this **** box since.

It was all homied out with 20" chrome wheels, and chrome fender trim. I decided plastidip looks better, and removed the useless side steps while I was at it.

Homie rig in the hood. The day I bought it.

Dipped wheels and fender trim.

How it sits as of today.

Needs tint.

1998 1500, tow package, 5.2, 2WD automatic.

I can live without the 4WD and 5.9.

It seems like the 5.2 has plenty of power, I just need to regear. It feels like 4.10s would do it good.

Other than the small things I was wanting, I haven't been this happy with a vehicle in a long time. I'm gonna do an AAL with a 3" lift in the front to level it out. After that I'm going to upgrade the things that would help with safety when towing... bigger brakes, steering, stuff like that.

Raptor liner with a toolbox in the bed is definitely in the plan. That would help a lot.

Only thing that's annoying as hell, is the tints one of the previous owners installed. Not worth a damn, and more orange peel than an Earl Scheib paint job.

I already fixed the A/C, now I just need to fix the cruise control, and the transmission solenoid thing. Overdrive gets killed on occasion, and the trans temp light comes on. Also needs a tune up.

The rear diff also needs to be rebuilt, it's pretty loud with a nasty gear whine.

Last edited by SunDevilJeeper; 05-12-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:18 AM
SunDevilJeeper

I guess since I can't sleep, I'll update everybody on the past almost two years now.

So basically the truck I bought ended up having a mountain of problems. Too many to list, honestly.

One day while heading back to Phoenix from Ehrenberg, AZ a piston decided to blow into pieces. When you try to start the engine, it sounds like rocks in a coffee can. The truck has been sitting collecting dust ever since.

I opted to buy another truck and get rid of this one at some point. So I went out and got a 2001 1500 5.9 Sport 4x4. Both trucks have a completely different feel to them.

To make a long, long, story short, I got ****ed hard by a transmission shop (I can post a link to another forum about that story if anybody wants to know about that). That ultimately ended up in me having to rebuild the rear axle, which I regeared it since I might as well. I'll tell everybody reading this right now, 4.88s and 33s is a fantastic combo for city driving. It's not bad on the highway either as long as you stay under 72mph. However, going that deep of a gear REALLY exposes the weak spots in the 5.9s power band. Pulls with the power of a semi up until about 4000-4500 and then suddenly, no *****. I'm definitely doing that combo again.

Well, a few months ago, some idiot decided to blow a red light and t bone me in my niner and total it. So I've been using the property claim money to rebuild the truck I bought two years ago, along with my lady's Jeep WJ Limited.

Pics below.

When keeping it real goes wrong.
T boned so hard, I swung around and smacked a concrete barrier with my tail on the other side, then bounced back the other way again.
My girlfriend's 2003 WJ. Limited, Quadradrive, 4.7L HO V8. 3" IRO lift, JK Rubicon tires and wheels, bilstein 5100s, addco rear sway bar.
How my black Ram looked several months ago. It has the tires and wheels from the white ram on it right now.

So now I'm back to square one with this truck. I'm swapping in another 5.2 within the next couple weeks, I have to rebuild the engine in my garage first. After that, I'm also rebuilding the transmission myself after my fiasco with the transmission shop that hosed me cold and hard. After that, I'm rebuilding and regearing the axle to 4.88 myself as well.

I decided to just restore this truck because it gives me the opportunity to learn about 2nd gen trucks, and acquire as much knowledge about these things as I have with Jeeps... plus it's more economical to keep an old truck on the road vs buying a new one if you can do the work yourself. I had to do a lot of work on that white ram, I have learned a lot about 2nd gen trucks in general because of that truck.

Only thing that's still got me scratching my head with these trucks, is figuring out how to get the damn cruise control to work.

​​

Last edited by SunDevilJeeper; 12-13-2017 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:55 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
I guess since I can't sleep, I'll update everybody on the past almost two years now.

So basically the truck I bought ended up having a mountain of problems. Too many to list, honestly.

One day while heading back to Phoenix from Ehrenberg, AZ a piston decided to blow into pieces. When you try to start the engine, it sounds like rocks in a coffee can. The truck has been sitting collecting dust ever since.

I opted to buy another truck and get rid of this one at some point. So I went out and got a 2001 1500 5.9 Sport 4x4. Both trucks have a completely different feel to them.

To make a long, long, story short, I got ****ed hard by a transmission shop (I can post a link to another forum about that story if anybody wants to know about that). That ultimately ended up in me having to rebuild the rear axle, which I regeared it since I might as well. I'll tell everybody reading this right now, 4.88s and 33s is a fantastic combo for city driving. It's not bad on the highway either as long as you stay under 72mph. However, going that deep of a gear REALLY exposes the weak spots in the 5.9s power band. Pulls with the power of a semi up until about 4000-4500 and then suddenly, no *****. I'm definitely doing that combo again.

Well, a few months ago, some idiot decided to blow a red light and t bone me in my niner and total it. So I've been using the property claim money to rebuild the truck I bought two years ago, along with my lady's Jeep WJ Limited.

Pics below.

When keeping it real goes wrong.
T boned so hard, I swung around and smacked a concrete barrier with my tail on the other side, then bounced back the other way again.
My girlfriend's 2003 WJ. Limited, Quadradrive, 4.7L HO V8. 3" IRO lift, JK Rubicon tires and wheels, bilstein 5100s, addco rear sway bar.
How my black Ram looked several months ago. It has the tires and wheels from the white ram on it right now.

So now I'm back to square one with this truck. I'm swapping in another 5.2 within the next couple weeks, I have to rebuild the engine in my garage first. After that, I'm also rebuilding the transmission myself after my fiasco with the transmission shop that hosed me cold and hard. After that, I'm rebuilding and regearing the axle to 4.88 myself as well.

I decided to just restore this truck because it gives me the opportunity to learn about 2nd gen trucks, and acquire as much knowledge about these things as I have with Jeeps... plus it's more economical to keep an old truck on the road vs buying a new one if you can do the work yourself. I had to do a lot of work on that white ram, I have learned a lot about 2nd gen trucks in general because of that truck.

Only thing that's still got me scratching my head with these trucks, is figuring out how to get the damn cruise control to work.

​​
does the cruise light come on? if so check the vacuum line that runs under the battery --9 out of 10 times it is cracked or broken completely in two

Old 12-13-2017, 03:38 PM
SunDevilJeeper

Originally Posted by ramsportrocks
does the cruise light come on? if so check the vacuum line that runs under the battery --9 out of 10 times it is cracked or broken completely in two
From what I remember, it does. I know I have a vacuum leak because I have wild vents in that truck. Finding a vacuum leak is a real bitch I've discovered.

I do believe the servo itself is bad, I could be wrong though. I think the black truck is the one where battery acid leaked onto the servo. I remember checking the vacuum lines going to it and not finding anything wrong. I'll have to check again.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:14 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

From what I remember, it does. I know I have a vacuum leak because I have wild vents in that truck. Finding a vacuum leak is a real bitch I've discovered.

I do believe the servo itself is bad, I could be wrong though. I think the black truck is the one where battery acid leaked onto the servo. I remember checking the vacuum lines going to it and not finding anything wrong. I'll have to check again.
yeah definitely check that vacuum line.. i have fixed my fair share of them over the years

Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

There is a trick to finding vacuum leaks...

Quick Reply: Looking for a pickup.