2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New reliable truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Okay, so what are the results? Better take off? Better mileage? More power? Smoother idle? That's what I'm looking for. I get that replacing a worn out component is always smart, just wondering what this huge job will net. Every mod or repair I've ever done has never changed anything. Still starts and runs the same. My luck I'll tear into it and replace the chain and have no effects.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

I got better/easier starts, more bottom end grunt, smoother idle, better out-of-the-hole acceleration, and even slightly better gas mileage. (I won't call it 'fuel economy' as my truck is anything BUT 'economical'..... )

Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Economically challenged Thanks for the input. I suppose I'll attempt it this summer. Truck is almost at 200k. Gotta figure out this vibration first. . .

And no, I am not hijacking this thread because today is the 15th anniversary of getting my truck and it has been the most reliable vehicle in my life or my family's. Used every single day as a DD and my only vehicle. Only not started twice in all that time: battery and clutch switch. All these years and miles and it has been extremely reliable to say the least. So to the OP: there's not much to do to these trucks to make them more reliable. I am crazy with maintenance and keeping batteries fresh but that's it. Always get 13-14 city and 15-17 hwy. Good luck to you!

Old 06-05-2016, 12:09 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
So to the OP: there's not much to do to these trucks to make them more reliable.
Sure there is! Lots and lots of stuff, especially if your truck has an automatic transmission, and even more if it's 4WD. These things were mighty fine trucks when the factory put them on rail cars, but they had well known weaknesses that are readily apparent by now -- just like every other automobile ever produced.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Just curious
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift

okay so I am going to do a level on this truck and I have some questions.

1. Which brand does everyone recommend, how long have you ran it etc.
2. should I buy steering stabilizers or do they not help?
3. I will be replacing the ball joints and stuff with a moog front end kit that I have heard of but have not looked up yet.

let me know what you guys/gals think.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hell Bent Steel makes some good stuff.

I haven't had a stabilizer on my truck as long as I have owned it...... I don't think they are really necessary.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Just curious
Amateur

Are the CV axles still at acceptable angles with a 2.5 inch level lift?

Anyone had problems?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

CV axles? 2nd gen are solid axle, only cv joints are on the front driveshaft. And 2.5 inch won't require any other modifications.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Just curious
Amateur

anything over 2.5 ill need more shocks and extensions and all that, from what I read.

I think ill go with a 2.5 rough country.. didn't even realize these were SA until you said something.. I shouldn't have assumed.

Thanks HeyYou

Old 07-11-2016, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can go up to 3" in front without doing anything else. Spacers, or even just springs are fine for that. Go beyond that, and you need to start addressing other stuff though.

Given the type of suspension we have, kits going over 3" start getting REALLY expensive.... (although, in the overall scheme of things, they are about average, I guess..... anything other than leaf springs front and rear gets expensive.... )

Quick Reply: New reliable truck