2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New to Site

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:18 PM
NFullmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Site

Hello everyone. Would just like to stop by and introduce myself. The name is Nick. I just bought a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Automatic with approx 250,000 miles and RWD for $500. Will post pictures later. please note i am not an expert on vehicles.

Few things i have noticed so far.
  • Check Engine light is on (Have not got the codes read yet)
  • Brake light is on
  • ABS light is on. (The brake fluid that was in it was extremely dirty and extremely grimy so bleed all the fluid out and added new fluid.)
  • Engine compartment has a lot of debris in it.
  • Both sides of bed are rusted a lot. (Wondering where i can find a full bed not just sides)
  • Has a sunroof in it (looks like it was not OEM due to the wires for it are wired up to other fuses in the fuse panel)
  • The entire truck has been primed.
  • The truck drives fine but stalls out often.
  • Leak from the Radiator.
Those are just a few of the problems i have discovered so far.

Now the projects i am wanting to do to it.
  • Engine swap
  • Auto to Manual
  • 4x4
  • Paint everything (engine compartment, engine, outside, frame, ect...)
  • All new wiring
  • All new fluid lines (brake, fuel, water, ect....)
  • New floor upholstery
  • New roof upholstery
  • New Seats (back and front)
  • New suspension
  • Brakes (along with brakes change rear drum to disc)
    Among lots of other parts and accessories.

Basically when i am done with it the truck will be almost brand new. very very very few parts will be from a junk yard. I understand and know that most of the project will be time consuming and tricky.

My main questions are: If i change from RWD to 4WD will i need to strengthen frame? Should i get a Crate Engine or just buy all the parts and build it myself? If transferring from RWD to 4WD should i go a buy a new rear end? (the one that is on it was just relapsed a year ago by previous owner.)

Again like i said i am not an expert. I bought the truck knowing that it was going to be a project. Unfortunately it is going to be my daily driver as well. So i am thinking about buying most if not all of the parts during the course of the next few years. Once i have most if not all of the parts i am going to park the truck and buy a 200 dollar car and drive the car until i complete the truck.

Feed back is much appreciated at this point in time. Project estimated completion date is Winter of 2026. Again like i said by the time i am done with the project the only original part on the truck will be frame and cab.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

You'll be way better off just using that truck as a parts donor, and bringing up another that's not quite so worn out and already has the drivetrain you want.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:01 PM
NFullmer

I agree with that assessment however like I said I bought it with the knowledge that I was going to rebuild it. Would have bought one from junkyard but needed it to run for the time being.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Changing from 2 to 4 wheel drive is going to be quite the exercise..... fair bit of stuff you will need to cut off the frame, and then, some more stuff you will need to weld back on. You are pretty much going to need another 4x4 truck for a parts donor for that conversion anyway..... In which case, it would be easier, and probably end up cheaper, to mix and match body parts, and build the 4x4 frame..... You will want one that is 96 to 97, as earlier models were OBDI, and 98 and newer, a LOT of stuff in the electrical system changed. Not to mention seat belt mounts, cab floor, and a host of other 'little' things.

What is the end goal for the truck?

Welcome to DF!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 PM
NFullmer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Changing from 2 to 4 wheel drive is going to be quite the exercise..... fair bit of stuff you will need to cut off the frame, and then, some more stuff you will need to weld back on. You are pretty much going to need another 4x4 truck for a parts donor for that conversion anyway..... In which case, it would be easier, and probably end up cheaper, to mix and match body parts, and build the 4x4 frame..... You will want one that is 96 to 97, as earlier models were OBDI, and 98 and newer, a LOT of stuff in the electrical system changed. Not to mention seat belt mounts, cab floor, and a host of other 'little' things.

What is the end goal for the truck?

Welcome to DF!
End goal is a pristine 96 dodge ram 1500 4x4. But I might not do the 4x4 conversion. If the truck turns out how I want it to I won't want to take it mudding and get it all scratched and dented. Which is the only applicable purpose for 4x4 in my state.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by NFullmer
End goal is a pristine 96 dodge ram 1500 4x4. But I might not do the 4x4 conversion. If the truck turns out how I want it to I won't want to take it mudding and get it all scratched and dented. Which is the only applicable purpose for 4x4 in my state.
Skip the 4x4 then. Save some money, or, spend it elsewhere. (engine....)

Old 05-26-2016, 08:12 AM
phillip123hastings
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaand welcome to the forum

Old 05-26-2016, 09:13 AM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! I'm in the process of doing something similiar, although my truck wasn't quite as worn out as yours. LMC is a good resource for interior/exterior parts. The DIY section and stickies are excellent sources if critical information. And lots of expertise will chime in when you ask questions. Have fun, I know I have been!

Old 05-26-2016, 06:07 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't remember the name but there was a member that did a 4x2 to 4x4 conversion, which pictures and a write up.

Lots of work though.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by stewie01
I can't remember the name but there was a member that did a 4x2 to 4x4 conversion, which pictures and a write up.

Lots of work though.
Didn't he do leaf springs in front though?

Quick Reply: New to Site