2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

off/on road differential setup. looking for advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:06 PM
LadiesMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile off/on road differential setup. looking for advise

i have a 99 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 gas 3in lift 35in tires.

im trying to figure out a good setup for my truck. i want it to work good off and on road. i want to change out the stock open differentials and maybe the gears. i want to start with the rear first then the front at another time. i do want a locker in the rear i heard dana was good and it would be good on road as well because it wont lock when turning. im new to dodge and off roading so any advise would be awesome.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

Go for the detroit tru-trac diff. It's clutchless, so, no wear parts, and no friction modifier required. It sends torque to the wheel with grip. Works fine for front axles as well.

With 35 inch tires, you would do well with 4.56 gears. Do both axles at the same time, or, do not use 4x4 AT ALL until front and rear gears match. Otherwise, it makes expensive noises, and you are without a truck.

Keep in mind, gears/lockers are NOT cheap. Expect to spend a couple thousand for the whole job, especially if you can't do the work yourself. If you haven't done gears before, it is DEFINITELY worthwhile to pay someone else that has. (especially if there is a shop around that specializes in trucks.....) If you can grab a friend that has experience doing gears, that would work too, and save you a bit on labor.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: off/on road differential setup. looking for advise