2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Over 2 dozen road trips and 200k miles later...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Over 2 dozen road trips and 200k miles later...

Well I just completed yet another trip from Seattle to MN to visit family. 3,300 miles or thereabouts. I've lost track over the years but I moved west in 2001 so I've taken at least 24 trips over 1000 miles one way. Been doing a lot of repairs lately as she neared 200k. Put in another clutch since the shop screwed me last year. Did rear seal, oil pump, and pan gasket also. After getting to MN, I tore it apart and with my Dad's help, put in new timing chain, water pump, t-stat, hoses, coolant with core flush, and front seal. She drives a bit 'tighter' and revs quicker. Made the trip back just fine. Mileage was between 14 and 17 depending on conditions. Always seem to have a head wind. Ran 87 octane the whole way and used AC about half the time. Speed was between 65-70 which is slow across Montana and South Dakota. Got to see good country and some nice sunshine.

Still have a strange drivetrain vibration that no one can figure out. Also have horrible cupping on front tires. No idea why. Probably just cheap quality. Been trying to keep her going as a DD but it's getting harder and harder. Can't afford anything newer though. Still love her and taking her on long trips is great. Nothing like a stick shift for long trips.

Let's hear about your road trip this summer!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

How old are your front shocks? They are usually whats responsible for cupped tires.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 AM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Not sure why so many people are worried about longer trips in higher mileage vehicles. Just bring a toolbox in case

On July 29th I am headed from Madison, WI to Hot Springs Village, AK then to Nashville, TN and back. Hope it goes well! Just fixed the A/C and had to replace a leaf spring shackle

Old 07-08-2016, 07:21 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Originally Posted by schmidtp
Congrats! Not sure why so many people are worried about longer trips in higher mileage vehicles. Just bring a toolbox in case

THIS and make sure you have enough $$$$ to cover what you CANT fix yourself on the road

Old 07-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Well I would and do trust my truck over anything new out there. Proven always trumps new in my experience. I like to keep track of what trucks I see broken down across the mountains and the tally is this:

1- Dodge 3rd gen rolled to a stop in front of me with a broken rear axle or hub. Wheel was rolling all slanted up in the wheel well.
2- Chevys, both were older gassers, one had hood up
4- Fords, two were definitely 6.0s based on the hood/grille design and had campers hooked up.

Saw the typical number of Cummins and Furds towing huge campers. They outnumber Chevy diesels by a lot. But did see many newer Chevy gassers which means the whole vibration scare is not as widespread. But there were also many, many 4th gen Ram 1500s in the midwest. Saw so many even my Dad was drooling and he's a GM guy.

I took her to Discount Tire and they also thought shocks were bad. Seem to still work fine but maybe they are bad. Put them on with the lift in 2010. Not sure what to replace them with. Money's tight.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:53 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ramsportrocks
THIS and make sure you have enough $$$$ to cover what you CANT fix yourself on the road
OR: Make sure you have enough money to rent a moving truck and a tow dolly or car trailer to drag your busted rig home. It's the cheapest way to get the job done when you've no friends nearby, and can be the best alternative to trusting some random dude with a toolbox in a faraway place.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:04 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Have any of you had a breakdown on a road trip?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:03 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schmidtp
Have any of you had a breakdown on a road trip?
Hells yes. And on off-road trips, too. Not in the Ram, though.

Quick Reply: Over 2 dozen road trips and 200k miles later...