2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Emissions exemption Pennsylvania

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:59 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions exemption Pennsylvania

I live in a county in Pennsylvania the requires emissions testing, however my truck is emissions exempt due to the fact it's not driven more than 5000 miles per year.

Here's the question I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere, if I remove the catalytic converter could I still fail emissions even though my truck is exempt?

I know there is a cpl guys in here from PA and other states that have similar laws as pa, so if any of you could share what you may know I would really appreciate it.
Thanks fellas!

Old 08-13-2016, 06:08 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

im not from PA live in this hell hole called jersey right on pa border... long story short a few years back i purchased an exempt truck from PA and played hell getting it through inspection..

come to find out the catalytic was gutted completely out just leaving the shell so when speaking to others in PA I was told the cat needed to be in place for the PA safety inspection even though the truck was emissions exempt or the shop could fail the vehicle so the PO gutted the cat
YMMV

Old 08-13-2016, 06:33 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

So it can still fail visual inspection I'm guessing.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Visual is what will get you. They don't smog test, but they do a visual and if a factory installed emissions component is missing? Fail.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

im not from PA live in this hell hole called jersey right on pa border
Hell hole? More like s**t hole! Highest insurance and property taxes in the nation. Garden state my a$$! They should change it to "highest tax state". Rant over

Not sure how it works in PA but in Jersey it depends on how you register the vehicle. There is a specialty vehicle (i think it's called) registration that allows you 3000 miles a year without emissions testing. It's similar to antique vehicle registrations. They recently sent me a letter saying that i no longer have to go for inspections. My truck is a 96 and is past the age point of inspections (new law). WOO HOO! Check your PA DMV web site, There is a lot info there and if your still not sure just call them.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:46 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

Yeah I checked all over the web. I Google searched it to only find something about miatas. And it didn't talk about my question.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:56 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

NJ has a QQ registration that is emissions exempt. 2500 miles per year BUT vehicle has to be 25 years or older.. we also have limited use collector vehicle status which allows 3k per year BUT requires proof of collector insurance when you go get your sticker at the DMV inspection station
__________________________________________________ _________________
Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
  • Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
  • Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
  • Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To qualify for an exemption:
  • Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
  • Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
  • You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle
__________________________________________________ ___________________

by the way we call this place many names but my favorite is the " GARBAGE STATE "

Old 08-14-2016, 07:40 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be that guy that says don't gut it or remove it because there is no reason too and it causes more if a headache than anything else.

If its clogged then just replace it.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I'll be that guy that says don't gut it or remove it because there is no reason too and it causes more if a headache than anything else.

If its clogged then just replace it.
X2. Keep the emissions system in good running order. Assuming it's not the original (faulty) cat from the assembly line, the catalytic converter should outlast the vehicle. Meaning, they never fail. A failed cat means O2 sensors or other issues with the emissions system. Remember, O2 sensors should be replaced approximately every 60-75k miles.

Quick Reply: Emissions exemption Pennsylvania