2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My dodge build (in progreess)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:35 AM
1998ram5.9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dodge build (in progreess)

Hey guys been a while since I've posted. I have the old dodge all torn apart and building it in the garage. Every body part is being changed, getting rid of all that rust ny junk, I've put chassis saver on over 3/4 of the frame so far, built a sweet stainless steel front bumper, getting rid of 5 lug axles, have 2 dana 60s with 410 gears going in and much more. I am running a 360 magnum and a NV 3500. The motor is out of a 1999 dodge 2500 and the NV 3500 is out of a 1995. The truck runs great but here is wear I need a little assistance. I don't know what to do about the computer. I'm running everything off of the 318 computer that is sct tuned. I have shorty headers on it and the plenum kit. My next purchase is gonna be an m1 intake. Just making sure people think it's really worth it? I'm not worried about low end power loss because Its 410 gears and 5 speed with the 360 so there's plenty of low end power haha. I look forward to posting and being on this site again and sharing info I have aswell

Last edited by 1998ram5.9; 01-14-2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 AM
1998ram5.9
Veteran
Old 01-14-2017, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You can re-flash the PCM to run the 360. As it stands, it will probably work, but, in open loop (engine cold, regardless of throttle opening, or better than about 50% throttle, regardless of engine temp....) it's going to run lean. Now, dodge tended to run the engines a little rich anyway, so, you *might* be ok, but, if you get a lot of spark knock, I would be looking for a new tune right quick.

M1/Hughes Air Gap: Eliminates the plenum problem altogether.... yeah, you may lose a bit of low end torque, but, you are compensating for that with more cubes, and the shorty headers. The advantage you gain is better mid-range, and upper RPM power. Yes, it's a compromise, but, I think it is a worth while one.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 AM
1998ram5.9
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can re-flash the PCM to run the 360. As it stands, it will probably work, but, in open loop (engine cold, regardless of throttle opening, or better than about 50% throttle, regardless of engine temp....) it's going to run lean. Now, dodge tended to run the engines a little rich anyway, so, you *might* be ok, but, if you get a lot of spark knock, I would be looking for a new tune right quick.

M1/Hughes Air Gap: Eliminates the plenum problem altogether.... yeah, you may lose a bit of low end torque, but, you are compensating for that with more cubes, and the shorty headers. The advantage you gain is better mid-range, and upper RPM power. Yes, it's a compromise, but, I think it is a worth while one.
Wear is the best place to order the m1 from? And I have noticed when I was driving the truck, it really felt flat at high rpm and wot. My buddy owns a shop and he is a big chevy guy, loves to swap ls motors in Old trucks and cars. He programs all his own computers and says tuners are a waste of money, power wise that is. He will bump the timing up 5 degrees on a stock 6.0 and get a ton more power. Is that a possibility with our computers. Wear would I look into getting my computer reflashed in the first place? Because when I asked the dealer in my area if they could do something like, the guy looked at me like I had 2 heads, so I didn't get any wear with that

Old 01-14-2017, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The dealer should be able to reflash the PCM with a stock 360/manual trans tune, but, that will be the death-flash, and you really don't want it. (it sucks.)

Simply bumping the timing on the magnum engines isn't really a good idea. There is no knock sensor that the GM engines have.... (why dodge decided to do it that way is beyond me...) and they already have spark-knock issues... so, JUST bumping the timing is a really bad idea. Unless you like holes in your pistons......

Hemifever Tuning, Or Flyin' Ryan do great tunes for these trucks. Of course, you need the tuner as well. (the physical device for flashing the PCM.) so, not cheap.....

Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like some nice work you're putting into your truck! Nice!