2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Randy's wants $3,000 for gear swap?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Randy's wants $3,000 for gear swap?!

On a rare day off, I decided to finally swing by Randy's Ring and Pinion here in Everett and get a quote. Guy at the desk said it would be 1900-2300 plus 500 for the locker and Yukon 4.10s. Brings it to 2,800 plus tax.

He also couldn't believe my old truck had stock gears at 216k. According to him, "all Chrysler posi's blow up by 160k" and I'm driving on a blown up rear end right now.

The more questions I asked, the more expensive it got. "It all depends how bad it is once I get in there." He wouldn't give me any quote or papers. Just a verbal quote that could end up costing anything.

So much for doing this. I would maybe entertain $2k for the swap but not more. It's just not worth it on my old truck. So what would you do? How much did you spend on gears? How many of you are "driving around with blown up rear ends" just perfectly fine like me?

Old 03-31-2017, 06:31 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When I swapped to 4.10's, I bought a good set of used factory dana 60/70 ring and pinions off ebay for $200. A local diesel shop did the swap and replaced both the upper and lower ball joints on the passenger side while they had the axle apart, for $1300. I did have to add a little posi lube when I got it back, but it's been 4 years and no issues what so ever.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Could try and rent some tools, and do it yourself too.....

Old 04-01-2017, 08:49 AM
mokurt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see the parts and labor being expensive for two axles.
Everything would be new except for axles, axle bearings and seals.
Don't see why they could not give you a solid quote.

You have some choices...find another shop, do it yourself or don't do it.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Kind of a let down when you finally go the ONE shop that the whole WORLD uses for diffs and it just so happens to be in your BACK yard, and all I wanted to do was run outta there. Was really hoping it would be a good experience. "They all blow up," sheesh. When was the last time anyone came on here with a complaint about the rears on these trucks?

Just a big racket. There's no way that job should cost $3k. I'm reading about swaps on Cummins site for the big trucks costing less than $3k. A lot less.

Oh, well. Guess I'll be putt, putt, putting around like I have for all these years.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't lose hope, you're not alone. I was thinking about it after I posted above. I went through the exact same thing with a local shop, well known in the area for trans and drive line work, going back a lot of years. When I stopped in to inquire about going from 3.55's to 4.10's, every time the owner opened his mouth, the price climbed again. "The dana axles don't respond well to used gear sets", and everything has to be top shelf or he wouldn't even consider it. When I walked out of there he was at almost 4 grand. I was a little shell shocked after that.

A couple weeks later I stopped at a shop in the area that specializes in diesel pickups and it was a whole different experience. Nice people and they didn't talk down to me. Explained everything they would do and what to look for in used gear sets to help me save money. I just had to put up with a little kidding about driving a gas powered truck. "Geez Jim, I don't think we can work on it in the shop. Might have do it in the yard so the gas vapors won't spontaneously ignite and burn down the shop."

Old 04-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Yeah I'll just keep it in the back of my mind. Maybe someday it can happen. My truck is only worth $2-3k so why spend that on a little more power? Diesel guys are so annoying. Guess when you're in the 1% and can afford diesel trucks it gives you license to act like a jerk. Hope you got a good deal from them. There's a couple diesel only shops out here but again, too uppity and expensive.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:17 PM
mokurt
Amateur

I was happy to find a good shop in Santa Clara that only works on diff's.

Had them regear and spool a DANA 44 that I modified for my CJ7 and set up the gears that I tried to do in a '90 Jimmy.

The prices were reasonable.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Ron380
Amateur

I once asked a local transmission shop about a gear swap for my truck, and he said they don't even do axles or gears.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Hey, the Comedian! Nice.

It seems some shops look at them like a nuclear bomb and don't want to even touch them. Then other shops who can do them, feed off that fear and jack up prices because they know other shops are scared which leaves a desperate customer.

I like the way my truck drives with 3.55 and 285s most of the time. Certain hills and take offs seem to drag. On the hwy its great. If I had 50 more hp it would be a none issue. That's all I need. And I can't afford to lose any more mpg.