2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking at buying a 02 2500 with a Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:06 PM
brian6325
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a 02 2500 with a Cummins

Hi, I currently have a 2012 1500 Ram. I really need a 3/4 ton, but most 3/4 tons are not in my budget. I am looking at buying a 2002 2500 extended cab 4x4 with a cummins and automatic transmission. The truck only has 133000 miles on it and looks brand new, there is no rust on the body at all. Are there any general issues or problems I should know about with these? I know there can be issues with the lift pumps and transmissions, but that is all I know. I would appreciate any advice.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Treat is just like any other used vehicle you would look at. There really isn't anything in particular that goes bad, it just depends a LOT on how the truck was treated, how it was used, and how well it was maintained. Given that it is low mileage for its age, and appears to be in very good condition..... that would likely imply that it IS indeed in good condition. So, go for a visit, see what the fluids look like, give it a good inspection, and take it for a drive. Drive it the way you NORMALLY drive. If all seems good, start talking about the price. Given it's a diesel, in good condition, he is likely going to want a premium price for it as well....

They ARE nice trucks. There are fixes out there for any of the trivial problems. There is also quite a bit of aftermarket support for the cummins..... more than can be said for most other dodge motors of that era.

Welcome to DF!

Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Better decide quick as clean 2nd gens are becoming unicorns.

Out west here, they still command over $20k

Try and find a manual, look to spend $25,000

No matter what repairs or maintenance it will require, it completely trumps the 4th gen emissions junk. Older diesels are hotter than ever. Check if its a 53 block and budget for a new VP and lift pump. Then maybe start saving for a trans down the road but 47re is not as bad as the 46 unless its been tuned. Just get it then research what you can do to it. There's a million videos and forums dedicated just to the cummins. Great investment since it is appreciating right now, even though it is nearly half the power of new ones ($70k)

Old 09-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brian6325
Hi, I currently have a 2012 1500 Ram. I really need a 3/4 ton, but most 3/4 tons are not in my budget. I am looking at buying a 2002 2500 extended cab 4x4 with a cummins and automatic transmission. The truck only has 133000 miles on it and looks brand new, there is no rust on the body at all. Are there any general issues or problems I should know about with these? I know there can be issues with the lift pumps and transmissions, but that is all I know. I would appreciate any advice.
What is your location and your budget? How is it that a ¾-ton is out of your budget but a diesel isn't? Are you looking to dump the 2015 and replace it with the diesel?

Old 09-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I think he means 4th gen 3/4 tons since he has a 2012 right now.

There are tons of issues with all generations of truck. For the 2nd gens, which are very similar in both 1500 and 2500 series (unlike 4th gens) the following apply:

-steering gears junk
-tie rods and ball joints
-track bar worst design in the history of history
-brakes too weak
-dashes crack to pieces
-heater cores leak way inside dash
-automatics junk
-headlights weak
-rusty driver's door lip
-vacuum/blend door issues
-plenum gasket/pinging/deathflash issues on gas motors

Now, generally speaking, these issues only appeared after several years/miles of ownership. My truck was flawless until about 65k so the first 5 years were great. Then I had to spend a ton of time and money over the next 100k getting it to work right. Now I've been happy since about 200k but its more just maintenance. Never left me stranded or not gotten the job done! It's like owning a house with lots of work and potential.

Factor in that the 2nd gens are the best looking truck ever made (made Dodge leap in sales and created the "BIG 3" of trucks) and still command heavy prices and aftermarket support, they are still a good buy.

Then factor in the legendary Cummins 5.9 pre-emission and only good sounding and smelling diesel ever made, well, people go gaga over them. Hence the crazy prices still today and owner love affairs.

If it seems tight up front and steers okay, then check the trans and FUEL PRESSURE of the injection pump, then get it! You will have made an actual investment if you take care of it.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:02 PM
bad dog

Hey Gents!
I'm new to this forum.
This being my 1st message.
The 2002 Ram extended cab 2500 Diesel discussed here is the truck I have , purchased in December 2001.
Just a fantastic truck! The best truck I have ever owned.
Now where is the fuse for the ecm "engine computer" ?????
My fuse lid shows nothing for ecm or pcm fuse.
I need to reset the , check engine light.
I drove around for over a year with thermostat froze open, it tripped engine light
"too cold for too long" that's what Orileys auto parts read.
Waiting for a response.
Thanks
Bad Dog

Old 01-29-2020, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think it's labeled "Engine" or some such, in the fuse block in the side of the dash... It may also be in the PDC under the hood. don't recall. Easy way is to disconnect that battery for a few minutes..... pull the ground cable, turn on headlights, turn off headlights, hook it back up. Down the road you go.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:36 PM
bad dog

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think it's labeled "Engine" or some such, in the fuse block in the side of the dash... It may also be in the PDC under the hood. don't recall. Easy way is to disconnect that battery for a few minutes..... pull the ground cable, turn on headlights, turn off headlights, hook it back up. Down the road you go.

Right aware of disconnecting the battery grounds. This truck has 2 batteries and the cable ends are hurting, one I have clamped.
Don't want to reset computer that way.
The battery cable connections can affect the transmission shifting.
Just want to remove proper fuse.
Thanks for your help
Bad Dog

Old 01-29-2020, 06:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Fuse 9, Engine.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:50 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Why didn't Orileys reset it when they checked the codes? Either way unhooking the battery(s) is the best way to do it, and it sounds like you need to do that anyway to fix the cable clamps. Bad battery connections can cause all kinds of problems.