2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Just got a truck! what to check?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:27 PM
TrinityTruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a truck! what to check?

hi,

I just got a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Standard cab truck 157K Magnum 5.9 V8. It came with a K&R, and the rad fan already converted to electric.

I'm not very familiar with this engine/truck so what should I look for maintenance wise/common problems?

I already read up on the plenum gasket leak issue, plan to use an endoscope to check mine

Also, going over the basics, new plugs, and rebuilt injectors. (mileage is below normal for the v8).

One question I had on coolant temp, what does "normal" temp read out on the gauge? middle? mine is 1/4 up from the left...

Fun truck otherwise!

I used to have a 2001 2500 Cummins which I miss. bought it with 30K miles on it and later sold it to a Friend..

Last edited by TrinityTruck; 10-18-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Third gen body style, second gen drivetrain.

Sounds like you already have a pretty good handle on things. Basically, you want to go after all the usual maintenance items. If you don't know if it has been done recently, then it wouldn't hurt to do it. Fluids, filters, band adjustment for the trans, etc.

Temp gauge sounds right. If you have a scanner, plug in, and see what the pcm thinks engine temp is, when it is fully warmed up.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-24-2018, 03:41 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Use copper spark plugs, I like NGK. New O2 sensors would be a good idea, NTK or Mopar. The actual 2nd gens like to bust the vacuum lines especially where it goes through the fire wall for the heater. Put a relay in the headlight harness. If you need the plenum gasket, I recommend replacing the timing chain and water pump at the same time. It's also a good time to install a block heater if you live in a cold climate, and also a new thermostat. Do the things Hey You mentioned.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:07 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Use copper spark plugs, I like NGK. New O2 sensors would be a good idea, NTK or Mopar. The actual 2nd gens like to bust the vacuum lines especially where it goes through the fire wall for the heater. Put a relay in the headlight harness. If you need the plenum gasket, I recommend replacing the timing chain and water pump at the same time. It's also a good time to install a block heater if you live in a cold climate, and also a new thermostat. Do the things Hey You mentioned.

Quick Reply: Just got a truck! what to check?