2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Should I paint my truck ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I performed the math described on the 04 Ram I bought new. I priced my 04 to sell, and it was gone in 3 days. I had calculated that it'd cost more to fix the rust than it was going to be worth.

BUT here is where I diverged from the advice. Rather than upgrade (condition wise) to the same truck, I downgraded to one that a guy had ignored so long he couldn't pass inspection w/o alot of effort and was stuck with. The difference in price between the trade off ended netting me a brand new ATV. It helped that the one I replaced it with was a generation older and parts could be had CHEAP in comparison.

Emotions are generally always expensive, so be frugal and don't let those emotions cloud your practical judgement

The one I have now is worth 3x the actual cash I have in it. Not my first time around the block on this method.

To succeed, you have to be pretty competent at checking out a candidate vehicle, and add in a surprise factor - cause they do happen.

Also helps to really know the vehicle you're dealing with. If you are paying someone to do the work, I wouldn't suggest you downgrade like I did.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage

But you only spent $10k not $60k, so you “saved” $50k ;-)
And you didn’t spend that money to sell your truck, you spent that money to drive your truck.
It's honestly hard to explain but there is something about this truck, it has been really reliable. Knock on wood

Old 01-24-2019, 11:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I performed the math described on the 04 Ram I bought new. I priced my 04 to sell, and it was gone in 3 days. I had calculated that it'd cost more to fix the rust than it was going to be worth.

BUT here is where I diverged from the advice. Rather than upgrade (condition wise) to the same truck, I downgraded to one that a guy had ignored so long he couldn't pass inspection w/o alot of effort and was stuck with. The difference in price between the trade off ended netting me a brand new ATV. It helped that the one I replaced it with was a generation older and parts could be had CHEAP in comparison.

Emotions are generally always expensive, so be frugal and don't let those emotions cloud your practical judgement

The one I have now is worth 3x the actual cash I have in it. Not my first time around the block on this method.

To succeed, you have to be pretty competent at checking out a candidate vehicle, and add in a surprise factor - cause they do happen.

Also helps to really know the vehicle you're dealing with. If you are paying someone to do the work, I wouldn't suggest you downgrade like I did.
The 2nd gen is not a downgrade

Quick Reply: Should I paint my truck ?