2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Theft prevention?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 PM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Theft prevention?

Hey guys, soon enough I'm going to be driving my 2001 Dodge all over the state for my upcoming apprenticeship. I'll be staying in hotels, and I'm a little concerned about keeping my truck and its cargo safe. The truck is an extended cab with the split doors, with manual locks and windows. As far as I know there isn't an alarm system if the truck were to be broken into, correct me if I'm wrong. What are some ways I can keep it safe in that regard? Of course I can still take defensive strategies like parking in view of a camera, or maybe under a light in the parking lot, etc. Other than that I feel like it's very vulnerable.

Thanks,
Everett

Old 03-22-2019, 12:02 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

There isn't much you can do to prevent theft of items out of the vehicle. Smash the window, stab the lock, use a slim jim, "they" will always get in. The pic shows a tool box, and while the locks are not anything to write home about they are a little harder to get into.

If you're worried about the truck getting stolen, remove the ASD relay that will get "them" stumped unless they have the knowledge and time to troubleshoot.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Keep nothing valuable in the vehicle. Remove head unit face plates (if equipped with aftermarket stereo). Lock the doors, roll up the windows. Common sense stuff you should be practicing everywhere.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:17 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

My truck has been burglarized twice. Here's what I've done:
1. steel​​ toolbox mounted in the Cross box with double locks and alarm hood switch mounted inside lid.
2. Alarm with active fob, glass sensor, and hood switch
3. Hidden kill switch only I know where. Disables ignition
4. Radio hard mounted to steel subframe
5. AMI billet door handles with Jimmy jammers
6. Two tailgate locks
7. Remove fuel pump fuse for overnight
But the best thing is to just expect it. Don't keep favorite tools or toys in it. And always carry.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips guys. Off topic, what is the device circled in this picture? Mine was hissing air near the green cap while the truck was running. Not my pic FYI

Old 03-24-2019, 04:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Not sure, can you get a closer pic of it?

Old 03-24-2019, 04:51 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

what about installing a alarm system? you can install switches on any door/tailgate or hood that would set it off and likely scare the person away. this would likely be the best idea since if someone gets in your vehicle they are likely going to smash things up even if they can't get it to start.

grounding the negative side of the coil works good for immobilizing most single coil vehicles. also if you are looking for some good kill switches you should look at capacitive touch switches. they are easy to hide and seem to work pretty good. i have been thinking about installing some in my elcamino just to control things but to keep visible switches to a minimal.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Install a large dog into the front seat. You can leave the windows down, and the doors unlocked, and NO ONE will mess with your truck.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:05 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

but for some reason a dog may not be a great thing to have in the front seat if you are doing lots of traveling for an apprenticeship. at least with an alarm you can install switches on nearly anything that moves and it works as long as you turn it on and got power in your battery.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
but for some reason a dog may not be a great thing to have in the front seat if you are doing lots of traveling for an apprenticeship. at least with an alarm you can install switches on nearly anything that moves and it works as long as you turn it on and got power in your battery.
My dogs LOVE going for rides. Of course, I am generally not taking them to work with me either.......

Quick Reply: Theft prevention?