2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New 96 Ram 1500 owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:11 PM
Tristin Ehrismann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 96 Ram 1500 owner

So I’m pretty new to the truck stuff I bought a 96 ram 1500 sport with 200k on it and I’m looking for some knowledge to help me out here, trucks in pretty good shape and I’ve done some basic repairs to it water pump, rad, intake valve gasket a few other seals. Wondering if anybody could recommend some things for me. Was also curious about about the BDS dual steering stabs I have a 7” lift and 35s

Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Fix the plenum? (See stickied thread in tech section.) Tuneup? Probably should have done the timing chain/gears while you were in there doing the water pump.... O2 sensors? Especially if they are still original. (NTK or Denso please, skip Bosch)

What gears in your axles? Last time the trans was serviced? (manual or auto?)

Transfer case saver? (google is your friend here. )

Welcome to DF!

Old 06-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Tristin Ehrismann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fix the plenum? (See stickied thread in tech section.) Tuneup? Probably should have done the timing chain/gears while you were in there doing the water pump.... O2 sensors? Especially if they are still original. (NTK or Denso please, skip Bosch)

What gears in your axles? Last time the trans was serviced? (manual or auto?)

Transfer case saver? (google is your friend here. )

Welcome to DF!
I have 3.50 in the front and 9.25 in the rear, not sure on when the trans was last serviced manual trans also: Exhaust is cut but still have the two O2 sensors still working. The plenum was something I was looking at doing as this truck seems to be burning oil like no tomorrow, looking at 5 quarts every 4000km doing oil changes every 7

Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Don't need to change the oil, the engine is burning thru it fast enough already. Just change the filter.

3.55 gears likely. Dana 44 axle in front, corporate 9.25 in the rear. With 35s, and the lift, I bet that truck is a dog.... The manual trans will help, but, you really need better gears. (at LEAST 4.10s, 4.56 might be better......) Not an inexpensive proposition though.... 1500-2000 to do both axles. (parts and labor.) Both axles MUST have the same gear ratio, else, if you try and use 4x4, you will break stuff. (and that gets even MORE expensive.....)

With that many miles on it, think I would be tempted to do a compression test, and see what kind of shape the motor is in. (dry, then wet please) May be better off just replacing it...... Long blocks can be had pretty cheap. (1500 or so for a rebuilt motor, even less if you get a used one.)

Quick Reply: New 96 Ram 1500 owner