2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 11:36 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thnx bit, Ill give the Amsoil a try, tried seafoam to no avail other than lotsa smoke. As an update on the oil usage since new valve seals, I changed the seals with roughly 1,000 miles on the oil. The oil level on the dipstick was roughly between the "A" and the "F" on the word "SAFE" on the dipstick. Now, 'bout 1800 miles later, the oil level is just below the "S" on the "SAFE". Still translucent dark brown n not black, WELL, at least not yet. But hey, that's a new thing too, for 'ol blue anyhow. Usually, by this time in the oil's life, 'ol blue is really starting to transport this valuable cargo into some damnable fifth dimension of aged lubricant hell. As far as the oil catch can that I recently installed goes, there's a coating of oil all over the inside of the catch can, but no pooling. The better news, no oil from the PCV intake in the plenum.

The following users liked this post:
2bit (09-16-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:54 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Another update on oil usage after valve seal change. At a little over 3000 miles on this oil, the oil registers half way between the "S" on SAFE and the add oil line on the dipstick. It was between the"A" and "F" on the SAFE mark on the dipstick at last update. My oil catchcan has roughly a 1/16" deep layer (not measured) in the bottom of the can (roughly 8 oz can size) after about 2000 miles of use. Oil still dark translucent brown and not the usual "solid" black that was common before the valve seal job. I use Mobil 1 synthetic, Mobil 1 oil filter, with lotsa stop n go driving n 100 degree temps n 180 thermostat.

Quick Reply: valve stem seals