2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 04:14 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default valve stem seals

Just an FYI on '96 Dodge Ram 1500/318 that has approximately 235K miles on her. She still runs like a top (relatively speaking), never been rebuilt. I wasn't too happy with my oil consumption, approximately 1-1 1/2 qts every oil change...3-4K miles, depending on time of year. Some say kinda hi, others...not so much. The odd ping after every Chrysler SB fix and forum search. 180 stat, 20psi rad cap, ignition wire SB, plenum fix, cooler plugs, etc. HOWEVER!!! 1 thing that seems to have made 'ol Blue lots happier is new valve seals...600+ MILES AND NO OIL CONSUMPTION AT ALL on mid-time oil and me PCV isn't pukin' as much oil into Ye 'Ol plenum. Hope this helps someone!!!

Old 08-19-2019, 06:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Originally Posted by true blue
Just an FYI on '96 Dodge Ram 1500/318 that has approximately 235K miles on her. She still runs like a top (relatively speaking), never been rebuilt. I wasn't too happy with my oil consumption, approximately 1-1 1/2 qts every oil change...3-4K miles, depending on time of year. Some say kinda hi, others...not so much. The odd ping after every Chrysler SB fix and forum search. 180 stat, 20psi rad cap, ignition wire SB, plenum fix, cooler plugs, etc. HOWEVER!!! 1 thing that seems to have made 'ol Blue lots happier is new valve seals...600+ MILES AND NO OIL CONSUMPTION AT ALL on mid-time oil and me PCV isn't pukin' as much oil into Ye 'Ol plenum. Hope this helps someone!!!
Wow, that's a pretty significant change for just doing oil seals........ Keep tracking it, and let us know if it remains consistent.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:50 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Yup been there done that in several 318s going back to the carbureted days. Most recent is my 96 Dakota with 213k on it. Did the seals on that one about a month ago and similar results to yours. Have had this truck since 170k miles and has eaten oil since the 1st day I had it. Did the manifold plenum fix about a year ago. It was blown but made no difference in oil consumption. This did. Spent less than$20 on valve guide seals and about 1-1/2 hours to do it, added to a complete tune up at the same time.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 AM
true blue
Veteran

A little update here on 'ol blue folks. Now have roughly 1500 additional miles on the oil that had approximately 1000 miles on it when I did the seals n sure enough, the oil level hasn't changed literally...at all! Lotsa stop n go driving, 100+ degree temps and even the oil is still dark translucent brown n not black (usually black by this time in it's life). Will this continue??? Dunno, however for 10 bucks (cost of seals), rental of a valve spring compressor n about 6 hours of my time...what a difference on a 235,000 mile engine. Now if i can just figgur a way to clean out the carbon build up in the cylinders from 23+ years of use WITHOUT pulling the cylinder heads, LOL!

Old 09-06-2019, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wow. That's pretty impressive. I didn't think valve seals would have that profound of an affect. Good to know.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:00 PM
true blue
Veteran

Neither did I, ...You! I'm more surprised than anyone, but results speak loudest. I've listened to folks on youtube, read articles (prolly) here and other automotive chat rooms, talked to pro-mechanic buddies and they all speak of how worn out rubber parts on engines are leading causes to premature (prior to 1 million miles, lol) death. Maybe this could be the genesis of seal your valve month?!?

Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Neither did I, ...You! I'm more surprised than anyone, but results speak loudest. I've listened to folks on youtube, read articles (prolly) here and other automotive chat rooms, talked to pro-mechanic buddies and they all speak of how worn out rubber parts on engines are leading causes to premature (prior to 1 million miles, lol) death. Maybe this could be the genesis of seal your valve month?!?
Maybe we can get it declared a national holiday, and shops will offer discounts on the job.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:56 PM
true blue
Veteran

I here ya brother, maybe we could have a "take your valve seal to work" day. IT'S BRILLIANT!!!!

Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I here ya brother, maybe we could have a "take your valve seal to work" day. IT'S BRILLIANT!!!!
I already take (what's left of them) to work.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:20 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting! I'm not a fan of oil additives, but I started putting Lucas in our truck to slow down the oil use. I figured it was the rings. Try Seafoam or Amsoil PI for the carbon.

Quick Reply: valve stem seals