2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Grasscarlatemodel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

What’s up guys, time to put a set of brakes on my 99 ram 1500 4x4. What brand of brakes do you guys recommend? Since theres so many different brands of brakes and particular brake pads for certain types of driving I’m kind of stumped on what brand to get. I do a pull a boat with my truck, but that’s about all the towing I do with the truck. I thought about the power stop truck and tow pads and rotors for the front but I seen where they didn’t have the greatest reviews. On the rear drum brakes I was also thinking about the power stop drum kit and didn’t really see any reviews on them. Just let me know what brand of brakes you have and what you recommend.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Grasscarlatemodel
What’s up guys, time to put a set of brakes on my 99 ram 1500 4x4. What brand of brakes do you guys recommend? Since theres so many different brands of brakes and particular brake pads for certain types of driving I’m kind of stumped on what brand to get. I do a pull a boat with my truck, but that’s about all the towing I do with the truck. I thought about the power stop truck and tow pads and rotors for the front but I seen where they didn’t have the greatest reviews. On the rear drum brakes I was also thinking about the power stop drum kit and didn’t really see any reviews on them. Just let me know what brand of brakes you have and what you recommend.
I ran the PowerStop Tow before and liked them. I recently upgraded the calipers abs pads (to carbon fiber) and absolutely love them. Upgrading to Hydroboost will increase your braking by at least 50%

Old 09-14-2019, 09:05 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I use Wagner Thermoquiet pads and shoes from Rock Auto. Upgrade your wheel cylinders to 1 1/16"

Old 09-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Hero6
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit
I use Wagner Thermoquiet pads and shoes from Rock Auto. Upgrade your wheel cylinders to 1 1/16"
Upgraded wheel cylinders? My brakes need some help. I have a 98, what am I looking for when ordering the upgraded cylinders? Is this just an option on Rock Auto or are they for a different model, but work?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:27 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Hero6
Upgraded wheel cylinders? My brakes need some help. I have a 98, what am I looking for when ordering the upgraded cylinders? Is this just an option on Rock Auto or are they for a different model, but work?

At 20+ years old, they are probably getting stiff. I usually rebuild them but I'm chea...er...thrifty and have been rebuilding them for years. The kit is just a little cheaper than new ones. They are the part you don't think about until they fail. Nice fresh clean ones are like new lucky rocket underwear that fits. Nobody can see it but it gives you nice comfy feeling knowing it's there.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:42 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hero6

WAGNER WC79767 {#19175906, F79767} Info
Rear; 4WD; 1-1/16" Bore; 13" x 3-1/2" Brakes
$6.17

Use these from a 3/4 ton. Stock is 15/16" An 1/8 inch around the outside of a circle is actually a lot more area and will make your rear brakes actually do something. They are a direct bolt in. Also some trucks had a valve with linkage to the frame in the rear brake line. Throw it in the garbage and get a regular hose without the valve. My 95 1500 doesn't have it, order that hose. The valve was supposed to increase pressure to the wheel cylinders when the truck was loaded, nice idea, but didn't work.

I believe there is an upgraded caliper also, but I'm not sure which one. I was happy with the brakes and liked the front/ rear balance after installing the bigger wheel cylinders.

If they are rusty, buy new bolts to install them. Then you can just twist off the old bolts. You may need new brake line from the wheel cylinders to the brake hose if you live in the rust belt.

Last edited by 2bit; 09-16-2019 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hero6 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Hero6 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:15 PM
Hero6
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info, I will upgrade to these on my next brake change.

Quick Reply: Brakes